Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one of these or has anyone shot one? I'm looking for a decently priced, nice shooting O/U in 20 gauge and I can get one of these in the Field model for $400 brand new. Any opinions on these?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
It is a $400 canoe paddle. I know 2 people that bought this gun and have had nothing but problems. Broken firing pins are a constant problem. Stay away from these guns. Look for a used Citori and you will have something that will work and hold it's value. JMHO. Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lots of problems with the Silver Reserve, the Silver Reserve II is better.
I bought my son a youth Silver Reserve II 20ga this year and he has put just over 1000 rounds through it without a glitch. Only complaint is it breaks open hard for a 10 year old

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
It's going to take Mossberg quite a while to overcome the reputation of the original Silver Reserve. CZ finally seems to be doing it with their newer guns, but it is a challenge. It is still a $400 O/U. I'm sure it wouldn't be up to the task of shooting thousands of shells a year. Might be an acceptable loaner or hunting gun. There are better ways to spend $400. Mark

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Yep, broken firing pins, had a set made from titanium, problem solved.

The whole receiver is very soft though.

It a "400" dollar gun nothing more.

CZ is practicing "Americanism" Came out with some good stuff at the beginning, then replaced it with a poorer quality stuff. All the while increasing the price of said item.

They do make a good "truck" gun! Your not out much if its stolen and no need to worry about scratching it up.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You might check out the MP310, in that price range. Made by Baikal (Russia) and imported by US Sporting Goods (USSG). I've heard that while it lacks style, it's built like a tank (probably at the same factory, too) and lasts forever. They have a sporting model that's a bit more refined. I'm tempted to get one myself, out of curiousity.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've got one. Use it for pheasant,grouse hunting and winter skeet leauge. No problems what so ever. Well over 3,000 rounds.

DB3006

·
Sky Buster
4,210 Posts
Remington had a 0/U that was made by Baikal. It was junk. I know
two shooters that had them. Both had nothing but trouble with them.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Might keep your eyes open for an Optima Silver Select. Its a nice Turkish OU.
here is a link. No sure if it comes in 20ga. My wife has been shooting one, nice looking gun.

http://www.hatsan.com.tr/optima_silver_select.asp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.