Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on Joel Etchen

Any thoughts or input on Joel Etchen's Berretta Custom 687 Silver Pigeon III Trap Combo's would be appreciated!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well made gun, will probably last a lifetime, I had a SP II with the high relief. Nice lockup. No odd wear on receiver face from extractors. Great trigger. Adjustable rib stays put and does not wander. No odd vibrations on lock up and no odd behaivour of any kind. Lighter in weight than Ljutic or Kolar, not that there is anything wrong with that. Wood varies from gun to gun but fitment is good and overall is attractive usually with a matte or satin finish. Choked barrels. I had a combo (3 barrel set) for 2 years and just sold it to a guy who loves it and is shooting the heck out of it. Mine had adjustable comb and rib on the unsingle. Did not have an adjustable butt plate but Etchen or other can do that for you if you need it. Never had anything go wrong with it.

Art

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have the JEG Beretta Sp lll combo and like it very much. The stock is very well designed and the adjustable comb stays put where set. Nice palm swell. Both barrels swing smoothly and are well balanced.
The only trouble I had with my gun is the screws from the trigger shoe and the rib adjuster worked loose. Just put a little blue locktite on the when you get the gun and you'll be fine.

JEG are great people to work with.

John

·
0 Posts
I have one and I like it. You really are paying a premium for the wood though. As pretty as the wood is, the oiled stock is just not my favorite. I took it off and put a PFS on. If I could do it over again, I would have saved some cash and bought the 682 Gold E and spent the savings on a PFS.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I actually think the guns are quite inexpensive, wood included. I have two Silver Pigeon II combos and they had different wood finishes. The newer one had the matte oil finish and I didn't care for it so I first cleaned it Murphy's Oil Soap. The improvement was striking but I had it refinished in a glossy oil.

It's the bottom gun in this photo.

averaged_2008_0303391.jpg

You can see the difference between the two newer guns and the three year-older one in the middle with Beretta's older oil finish.

Mine really took on a whole new character after refinishing.

averaged_2008_030353.jpg

averaged_2008_0303501.jpg

The man who refinished my wood also added an extension to the pistol grip made of buffalo horn as I thought the grip was just too short.

Overall, they are darned hard to beat!

Ed

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I just got my JE Silver Pigeon III a couple of months ago and if it ever warms up here I'll get a chance to shoot it before I go to SD and shoot the Southern Grand and FL State. I like what I see thus far especially for the money. Great name and wood.

blade819

·
Registered
486 Posts
I bought one in 2008 and really like it. I had a couple different kinds butt plate adjusters on mine before finally settling on one from Rod's Custom Stocks. Like Ed mentions above they're just hard to beat for the money and the quality gun your receiving.

The only con for me is the lightness of the stocks. If you ever removed the recoil pad you'll notice a very large stock bolt hole almost large enough to park a small car in. This is one reason I like shooting my 682 Gold E a little better. It absorbs the recoil so much better and is just more comfortable.

All in all you won't go wrong with the 687. They're a great gun for the money.

Dale

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am relatively new to shotgun shooting . I bought this one to use for everything , but the parallel comb (my big head) caused the gun to pattern left , and I couldn't get the nerve to cut the stock and install an adjustable comb . But I would buy another with adjustable comb . When I sold it , I recovered almost all my money . I think the gun is a good value .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts