Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on starting wife with a 20 ga semi auto? It's nice fits pretty well low recoil, she is not very experienced but wants to try.
She does have a left eye dominance, she's right handed, we're going to try again next week, I don't know if a blind for left eye or if a crossover rib from Keen sight would be effective.
Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 20ga to start out. Especially an auto that fits her. If she likes the sport you’ll want to go find a 12...but for learning the 20 is fine. If you reload go with 7/8 oz of 8 1/2 shot. Mod Choke is fine for starters.
As for her eye...put some tape on her glasses.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I would suggest a youth model Beretta 391 semi auto with 7/8 oz. loads. They are light guns and she would basically be shooting a 20 ga. load in a 12 ga. gun but ,the shot pattern would be more effective and you wouldn't have to change guns to a 12 ga. later.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
First a trip to the patterning board to see where the gun shoots. At 13 yards it should shoot a little
high and dead on left right. Have her shoot with her left eye closed. Next on the trap field have her
shoot straight aways from post 3. It would be best if you could have the trap machine locked on
straight a ways from post 3. That way she can get the gun zeroed in, and make any adjustments that
are needed. HMB

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Michael, by all means have her shoot the auto. She'll let you know when she wants a different gun. As far as her eye dom. problem goes. I say find out if she likes to close her left eye, or she likes using the tape better, First!!!

I like the round sticky dots at any office supply store the best. This allows one to match color of dot to color of lens, or lenses. Their like 2 bucks or so. Keep things simple for the first year. Then after some time!!! You can fine tune her shooting, after she is more comfortable with shooting and has learned to shoot all the slight angles, straitaways, hard angles and has developed a good stance, and a proper swing. So there is a lot for her to learn already, don't rush things. Just have fun together for now and their is lots of time to fine tune your shooting as you progress down the road. Its like a Journey if you will. Every shooter has to try different things to fine tune his/her game and see how each single change works for them. Just because something worked for me, does not mean it will work for you. That's why each of these different products are made. Their is no one fix for all.

Nice to see your shooting with the little lady!!! Have fun and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
319 Posts
Its fine if thats what you have. A 12 with lite 1 oz loads would be better.
+1

Sort of a balancing act here. 12 gauge guns typically weight a bit more than 20 gauge guns so the "felt" recoil is less, all other things being equal, which is good. On the other hand the weight of a 12 gauge is sometime too much for youth or women shooters.

As has been said above, have your wife try as may guns as you can get your hands on.

Having said the above , my wife shoots a Benelli 20gauge Super Sport with 7/8 oz loads at 1200FPS and is happy with it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A Berretta A 400 20 ga. is a great gun for women and kids. You can get it with a kickoff pad which eliminates recoil but you don't really need it on the 20 ga.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Put a piece of scotch tape on her left lens in such a way that she would not be able to see the front bead. This has worked for many cross dominant shooters. JM

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: Let her shoot left handed and see how she does. Lots of companies are making left handed guns or guns that can be made to work left handed. Get a 12 gauge semi auto and use 3/4oz or 7/8oz loads. Weight is a problem for small light people so get a field model gun with a 26 or 28" barrel. I just bought a A300 with a $100 rebate on it. It can be made into a left handed gun with a shim turn around. Benelli make a real left handed Montefeltro also. If you can I would let her try as many guns as you can even if you have to rent them. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
I disagree. it's harder to retrain your hand dominance than your eyes.

Try writing left handed if you don't believe me.

HM

·
Registered
279 Posts
I disagree. it's harder to retrain your hand dominance than your eyes.

Try writing left handed if you don't believe me.

HM
We'll have to agree to disagree. I've seen multiple people play different sports arguably requiring greater hand-eye coordination ambidextrously, including switch hitters in baseball. I've known others who have shot ambidextrously. I've never seen anyone who had two working eyeballs switch eye dominance. The only thing I've seen is folks try to use tape, opaque lenses, blinders, etc (which are all bandaids at best), but never an actual change in eye dominance.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
HM, I agree with Dolby above and agree/and or disagree as well. Its very hard to some people to switch over from right to left/ or versa visa. I am one of them. I am left handed and I am a right eyed dominant!!! I switched over at around 13 years of age or so. Back in the old days it was thought to be the only way!!! To fix the problem. But I was very young and half ambidextrous to begin with, and really wanted to shoot competitively. So I did it, It took around 6 months to get back to where I was score wise, before I could begin to advance. But it worked, and I did advance nicely after that.

Now Michael above just wants to shoot with his wife, and be able to have some fun, right!!! So I say keep it simple, until she wants to try to advance her shooting to the next step. Some people have a much harder time switching than others, and I would think(that's scary in itself) it gets harder as we age!!! But it is a good suggestion for her down the road!!! Or maybe Now!!! If she's willing try it???

By the way, Most women are Left Eyed Dominant, and most men are Right Eyed Dominant. Its just the way it is. So have fun and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
chovyman, a 20b is absolutely fine for ATA trap singles, doubles and short yardage handicap. There is absolutely no difference in function or effectiveness between a 7/8oz load fired from a good patterning 20b or a 12b. You could argue it is okay from farther back. If you doubt this, consider that International Trap throws targets that are harder, faster and farther than ATA and they have to use even less shot than 7/8oz.

The oft stated "fact" it is harder to get a 20b to pattern well is rubbish. Mine pattern beautifully.

IMO, you are better off having the gun fit and putting a piece of Magic tape across the top of her left lens. Judging by the women I've coached, it is more effective than closing an eye or using a dot. You can't "peek" around a strip of tape, and the bottom of the lens is left clear for walking, loading, etc.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
If you'd like I could post pics of #1 son with his K-80 and 32" unsingle at age 10.5 -all 80 lbs. He's holding his scoresheet with his first 25 straight. Why people keep insisting on making ladies and juniors shoot 20 ga with the increased recoil defies logic.

#2 son at 70 lbs. and 8 yo shoots a 32" BT-99 with PFS stock and 7/8 oz. reloads. That combination really smokes targets with very little recoil. Any shooter who in unable to handle a 12 GA BT-99 with shortened stock and reduced loads should consider laying off the video games and lifting up that gun at least 25x a day instead!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
They really should bring back the Remington 1100 20 gauge full size (meaning 12 gauge size) receiver gun. Heavy for a 20 gauge "carry a lot, shoot a little" type gun but great for a target gun! I guess I can dream, can't I?

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
dawg, a 20b auto has essentially no recoil with standard loads. In fact, if you didn't hear the bang or see the shell eject, you might wonder if it went off or not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts