Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that the locals near fast growing metro areas read this. Housing development happens! More people nowadays are anti-gun, anti-hunting, etc. Get a group together to invest in some woodsy acerage within a half hour drive of the current population. Zone it as a gun club so that it is grandfathered for the future.

Start a club ASAP and create a development plan for the future. Then start using it even if an old mobile home is the clubhouse.

I live 15 miles outside of Boston and we have more gun clubs within 40 minutes of my home than you would believe. A lot of them were started in the 1950’s when those properties we considered to be in the Boonies. Now they are surrounded by houses.

Hope this is a wake up call so that your grandkids and their kids can enjoy the sport.

Reactions: Russ-in-Pa

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Interesting...
I can think of ONE that is close to 128 (I-95) and the rest of them are MUCH farther out, i.e. around or beyond I-495.
(Closer to me.)
Property taxes are the killer, in addition to the price of the land itself (competing with developers).
Then there is the FACT that new comer dormitory town dwellers DISLIKE loud noises - and "farm smells", so they want everything but EVERYTHING shut down.
Suppressors COULD be a partial answer to some of that - which is a whole 'nother contentious issue.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting...
I can think of ONE that is close to 128 (I-95) and the rest of them are MUCH farther out, i.e. around or beyond I-495.
(Closer to me.)
Property taxes are the killer, in addition to the price of the land itself (competing with developers).
Then there is the FACT that new comer dormitory town dwellers DISLIKE loud noises - and "farm smells", so they want everything but EVERYTHING shut down.
Suppressors COULD be a partial answer to some of that - which is a whole 'nother contentious issue.
It may be too late now in urban areas. I am visiting at my daughter’s home 20 mins outside of Charleston. The closest club is about 40 minutes away and a few of the clubs that are within driving distance are private and or very $$$ . I think the fast growing areas in the southeast will pay the price in the next 5 years if they don’t jump at the chance now. Land that is not so desirable for homes could be a good spot for a club.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My club is about 20 minuets outside Boston on the South Shore, we are probably one of the biggest land owners in town?
We try to be good neighbors,and do every thing we can to make the place a safe environment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My club is about 20 minuets outside Boston on the South Shore, we are probably one of the biggest land owners in town?
We try to be good neighbors,and do every thing we can to make the place a safe environment.
Where do you shoot? Braintree? I belong to Scituate, Braintree, and Old Colony

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
(Now) Powder Creek is a good example. Started in the boonies of Johnson Co., KS. as the Kansas Field and Gun Dog Association in 1949, and the (Highways) 7&10 Gun Club. Lots of changes since.
Powder Creek Shooting Park, Powder Creek Shooting Park Lenexa, KS Home
Check out the satellite view
Google Maps
Light industrial to the north. City of Lenexa park to the south. Wooded buffer to the east from Whispering Hills.
I believe it was in the 80s that a .44 slug hit the home of local TV personality Fred Broski, and baffles were installed and the berms elevated at the pistol/rifle range down the hill. Unclear where the bullet came from as illegal target shooting was common along Mill Creek.

There was a nice Sporting Clays course near Weston, MO in the 80s that was forced to close after an ill-advised pigeon shoot. The nearby residents had dead pigeons in their pools.

Before purchasing any land, check the county noise ordinances and be sure there is no stream/wetland on the property.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Nice thought, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Eventually, complaints from homeowners force ordinances that limit the use of the club. Also, the land becomes so valuable that the owners/members sell out anyway. The best place to start a club is in an area already in use for some other purpose. Many clubs co- exist with model airplane flying field. Otherwise, they just need to be far enough away from residential areas.
Sparta and Cardinal are good example.

·
On the farm
190 Posts
Holbrook.
Just curious. Is it legal to take the ferry with your firearms? For instance if you were out on the arm of the cape, would you have to drive around to get to a club or could you take the ferry across with (cased and locked) shotgun in tow?
Years ago I worked in Boston on a project for the T is the reason I ask.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Just curious. Is it legal to take the ferry with your firearms? For instance if you were out on the arm of the cape, would you have to drive around to get to a club or could you take the ferry across with (cased and locked) shotgun in tow?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I don't see why not I no people that come over from the vineyard all the time to shoot

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
This is one area where the ATA could make a difference with its financial strength. It would be helpful if it had a development loan guarantee program for new clubs and clubs that wish to expand. I know that there are equipment leasing companies that will lease both equipment and improvements with a guarantor.

If a person or group can identify a suitable piece of property and has a realistic business plan, perhaps with some presold memberships, then the ATA could use its financial strength to help get the club financed and, as additional consideration, the club would throw ATA shoots.

I bet there are some good, young potential club owners coming out of the college shooting programs that would jump at the chance to own and run a club if they had the financial backing to do it.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Here in Florida, new clubs are being built at a pretty amazing pace. Seems like there is a new one opening up all the time.

The trend is that these new clubs are catering to sporting clays. Some are including trap and skeet fields, but not many.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am pretty sure it would be OK on the. Nanticket and Martha’s Vineyard ferries. Of course , you cannot drive around to an Island. The ferry from Boston should be ok too. I personally would not like to check my bags with a long gun . It is not like an airplane. They toss stuff around and it comes out on a cart . Everyone grabs thier luggage and goes.

Reactions: bird colonel

·
Registered
444 Posts
Around here it's a catch 22. Anywhere people want to shoot (within about 1.5 hours or so drive) the land values are generally pretty high. Any further out and it's tough to get anyone to travel that far. There is a fairly large trap range (~129 acres) not far from me that has been for sale for YEARS. Nice big club house, adequate parking, properly zoned, etc.

Rotting on the market. NIMBY mentality is a major driving force. If you even dared to start to utter "Gun Ra......" anywhere near where I live there would be petitions/court orders/filings/injunctions/(other fancy maneuvers) in the works before you even submitted a plan to the County.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,750 Posts
Our club passed on the opportunity to buy up the farm properties around them, but the developers didn't. It won't be hard for the non-trap shooting members to cave when our little, 2 trap range becomes a target. We used to shoot Sunday's & Thursday's, now just Thursday. There's already pressure to shut down the rifle range and restrictions on making changes to re-configure it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My club made nice with the neighbors 10 years ago. Club officers went door to door and introduced themselves. They explained the club and what we do. A deal came out of that where as we do not shoot until 10 AM except for 9 days of special events ( ham shoots, lucky target shoots, etc) when we start at 9. They invited the local police to use the range at specified times and offered discounted memberships to them. We also have youth shooting programs.
If issues arrise we try to address them in person and make compromises if nececcary. In short , we are neighbors and try hard to keep it that way vs. being antagonists.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts