Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier that I’ve gone to a high hold. Going well...my scores are up. My question is about eye placement. Do you start your eyes to the side and try to pick up the target while it’s below gun level...or do you keep your eyes above the rib and wait for the target?

Please...I’m not interested in debating the merits of a high hold. Just need some advise from those that use it or have used it. Thanks.

Trail

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I hold a high gun, but use tape on my off eye, so I wait for the bird to clear the barrel.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just started, but trying to soft focus above the rib and pick up the target as it moves into vision. I watched that old video, must of been from the early sixes, and it helped a lot. Waiting to pick up the bird, then making a "smooth" swing and follow through. Been holding for the straight away from each station, and if I don't have to swing it's an easy bird.

Maybe others can help me out with the link to that video. I can't recall who it was but it helped a lot with lines and "proper" sight picture; and constantly reminds you to make a smooth swing.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I personally cannot use the high gun hold because of left eye take over and occasional crossfiring but the following link shows the very successful Harlan Campbell method.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
The quiet eye I think is more of a stare, or blank state of mind. When you stare, you see nothing, you hear nothing, and most importantly, think nothing. When you call pull, the sight picture emerges, and the eye is hopefully drawn to the movement, and the original orange streak becomes a clearly visible target. This is what happens when you are, "In the zone". Unfortunately for me lately, my brain will not allow me to be in that zone for 25 birds.

I personally try to keep my focal point above my barrel, or keep the barrel from covering the emerging bird from the trap. This makes sure the barrel never obstructs the visual target acquisition, or slows the actual time for focus on the target.

Reactions: JACK

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
High hold, soft focus, and with these angles in mind. Station 5 was a real pain for me, but it's not now after some practice. Station 1 is my tough one, but with high hold and keeping the angles and smooth swing in mind, my scores have really gone up and staying consistent. That with the Jordan Wall Chart seems to be the best help to improving scores. Hope this helps..

Good luck!

When you are at home....In your garage w/five 1" brads...goes up & down in minutes.

The leads will become automatic with repetitions...lots of success stories with the Jordan Wall chart.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hold a level gun, look out in a soft focus just above the barrels, you will see the clay coming up in your peripheral vision, when the clay gets above the barrels make a smooth move after it, you can start to move when you see it coming up in your peripheral vision.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Hold the gun a touch to the side and keep my eyes on the top of the house.I Track the bird with my eyes, the gun and hands go to your eyes naturally. I never see my gun if I do I miss. Think about it like this. If you point at anything in the distance moving or not your hand or finger naturally go to where your eyes are looking. If your gun fits you the same happens at a target. If I look above my gun I tend to jump on targets and if it's windy I score terrible because I react too abruptly. When my eyes tract the target from the house everything is smooth

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Become one with your shotgun. What in heck does that mean? Never take your eye/eyes off your targets leading edge! The only thing that moves separately after mounting your gun is your eye/eyes? Eyesight is the fastest thing going on in any shotgun event. Find the answers to those questions and it will solve a lot of your shooting problems.

Kay O. proves hold points don't matter much, you have ample time to catch the toughest angles in plenty of time to crush the targets even holding on the opposite corners of the house? I feel the important part here is actually seeing the targets first with your shoulder eye when the clays emerge.

HAP

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
There's a number of good shooters out there that hold a high gun and look through the barrel or under the barrel. Try all the options and see which you like the best. The best way to get comfortable is to try practicing different options so you really know how each feels and then stick with the one that gives you the most confidence.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There's a number of good shooters out there that hold a high gun and look through the barrel or under the barrel. Try all the options and see which you like the best. The best way to get comfortable is to try practicing different different options so you really know how each feels and then stick with the one that gives you the most confidence.
+1 on this. I did exactly this, experimenting with hold points and eye focal points this spring, continuing to tweak things until I found what was most comfortable for me. (That ended up being a high hold, and looking under the barrel to pick up the bird as early as I can.)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the replies. Right now I look to the side...eyes always to the left of the barrel. Works for me even on 1 & 2. However, I still occasionally miss over the top and hence the question. Right now my toughest targets are quarter left on 3 and hard right on 5. Quarter left on 3 is the most frustrating...that's where I'll go over the top sometimes. Shooting lots of 23's right now, it seems, so it's coming along OK.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Trail
Were in the same boat.I have been around the world and back again. I have tried looking over the barrel and gradually got worse....struggled to break a 90 this year . switched back to holding a high hold about the 50 yard line steak or higher... and looking under the barrel for the bird...... I work at the quiet eye ...set up for the straightaway ..I have tried looking to the side of the barrel but it seems for me if I look straight under there is plenty of time for the hard lefts and rights....if my eyes are still my gun is still and I'm looking for the edge....but I'm still struggling.!!!!!!! a high eye hold makes me move the gun too early on singles and move before I really see the bird....so I look closer to the lip.I was not born a shooter.....or anything else!
A higher hold and looking under the gun seems to be working better.
You have to figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Romie,
Here's what I'm doing...maybe it'll help (still a work in progress obviously).
I'm right handed/ right eyed. I struggle when the target crosses the barrel right to left. So...with the high hold I start the gun inside on 1 & 2...starting my eyes to the left of the barrel.

For #1 my barrel is about half-way in with my eyes left. Anything that goes right is pretty easy, plenty of time, with the hard right of course appearing as a straightaway. I never have trouble catching up with the hard left.

For #2 my barrel is about in the center with eyes left. Same deal as #1. My gun is about 2 feet over the house....maybe a bit more.

Not exactly textbook, but it's working. I made the change about 5 weeks ago (from low hold), so I still have some work to do!

Hope this helps you!

Trail

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hold about 3/4 the height of the targets. Eyes under the gun, in a "cloud" just over the house. A very very important part of shooting like this is to not move the gun until you see the target! I do the same for 27 yard handicap. 98% singles average and 92% in caps over 6,000 targets each.

05-13898

·
Registered
558 Posts
Become one with your shotgun. What in heck does that mean? Never take your eye/eyes off your targets leading edge! The only thing that moves separately after mounting your gun is your eye/eyes? Eyesight is the fastest thing going on in any shotgun event. Find the answers to those questions and it will solve a lot of your shooting problems.

Kay O. proves hold points don't matter much, you have ample time to catch the toughest angles in plenty of time to crush the targets even holding on the opposite corners of the house? I feel the important part here is actually seeing the targets first with your shoulder eye when the clays emerge.

HAP
Hap makes some good points here. IMO getting your eyes in the right place is more important than where you are holding.

In my experience, the lower you hold you eyes while holding high the more likely you are to make a bad move because the bird appears to be traveling faster than it really is. I would suggest keeping your lookpoint as close to your hold point as possible. Play with it. Try a round where you begin with your eyes on the house and move them up every post. You should find a sweet spot in there somewhere. My guess it will be at or just below your hold point.

Jeff Holguin

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I've always had my best scores when holding a little below level with the gun but get my eyes below the gun and right above the front lid. Everyone is different, so you have to experiment to see what is best for you, try at least 200 targets before trying something else. I believe in having the least amount of gun movement to get the job done, there is a lot less room for error that way. The target will be over the gun in a split second and what I'm trying to do is just to read the angle so I can start the gun with the target's direction.

HOWEVER, if the visibility is poor I will hold about an estimated 18 inches over the front lid and look slightly over the barrel. But what do I know ??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts