Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to return to using an Apple computer. I had a Mac back in the late 80's. I've been using IBM clones ever since. I thought I'd give Apple another go. I was hoping to get some insight from Apple users what, if any, virus protection you use?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
You can try either Avast or ClamXav - both are free.

More to scan e-mail, etc.

·
Registered
13,589 Posts
Macs represent such a small percentage of worldwide computer usage that it isn't worth the time for hackers to write viruses and malware for it.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Macs are not immune to malware. They're more malware resistant than windows, and the criminals writing malware would rather put their effort into attacking more vulnerable Windows systems.

But do not ever think that Macs are immune to attacks. ESPECIALLY Macs with Intel chips that are capable of running Windows. If you're running Windows software, better rethink your vulnerability.

We've had Macs attacked at work. Even with anti-malware software. Fortunately this is not a widespread problem, BUT IT DOES HAPPEN.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I have used Sophos's FREE protection for Apples at Home for several years. Sophos was what we used at the University where I supported Apple systems. It was the campus wide system used for PCs and the Sophos version was used on Apples not so much to protect the Apples but to protect the PCs from files that Apple users may have sent to their Windows running compatriots.

I use the free version on my home system. It is now at 10.9 but has been at 10.7 and then 10.8. In all versions I have not had a problem. With Apples, SO FAR, the biggest problems have been in the Adobe Flash Player and the JAVA software. If you run Flash MAKE SURE IT IS UP TO DATE. I suggest NOT using JAVA unless there is a specific need you have for it and, if so, turning JAVA off after you are done using it.

Apple is becoming more popular and as such is becoming an ever more attractive target for malware so I strongly suggest having some type of anti-virus on it it.

Here is a link to check out the Sophos free AV offering.
Click Here

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I considered an Apple computer when I bought my last desktop as that is what both Trap & Field and Shotgun Sports Magazine use to build their issues. I decided I didn't want to learn a new operating system at my age but now my wife's new laptop has Windows 8 and I feel like I am doing that anyway.

Our son and I went shooting yesterday and discussed computers on our way home. He sells a costly piece of dental equipment and being younger, sees the benefits of Windows 8, a modular system, as opposed to previous Windows systems, which are linear. (I'm not 100% clear on all that; I'm just repeating what he told me.) The IT guys at his company's West Chester, PA branch office were converting the new PCs that operate the equipment he sells to Windows 7 until he told them that if they used Windows 8 for a month and still didn't like it, he would buy all of them dinner and pay for their green fees. Believe it or not, he didn't have to pay up!

I was going to switch my wife's new PC to Windows 7 but now I guess I'll bite the bullet and learn Windows 8, as that is the type of OS my next PCs will have, too.

Ed

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Ed,

Windows 8 is aimed at phones/tablets as much as it is at computers.

There are programs that will restore the 'old' windows feel to 8 - makes it very much like 7. Doesn't change how it works - just how it looks.

I'll look around for the article that discusses this and get it to you.

-

Here you go.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I downloaded "Start 8" into her laptop last weekend but haven't installed it yet.

Ed

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I've got a PC running windows 7 on my desktop, recently also bought a MacBook Air laptop 'cause I wanted something that was small enuf' to fit nicely in my flight case. When I asked about Virus protection the folks that sold me the Mac said it's not needed on a Mac because the Mac talks in Greek? Now I'm kind'a computer ignorant but I wonder............aren't there any Greek viruses?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Macs run on Unix coding - PC's run Windows/MS-DOS.

Most viruses, etc. are aimed at the PC's. One, it is much easier to write virus codes that can infect Windows/MS-DOS as opposed to Unix. Two, at least historically, PC's were the largest market share - Macs were in the single digits - this is no longer true, but the mind set of hackers hasn't really changed.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the information folks.

Hope all of you have a safe and happy holiday!

Steve

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Macs are not immune to viruses and malware. It might be less likely that you would pick something up, but there are bugs for macs in the wild. I'd be inclined to run a decent security program. Better to be safe than sorry. Probably more important would be a good automated backup solution.

I do this stuff for a living and take care of several types of clients. Those that have had their systems compromised and those that haven't had it happen, "yet". Even having a good antivirus/malware program does not absolutely protect a system. Also there are those users whose drives have not failed and those that have. The clients with a recent backup fared better. All drives will most likely fail, eventually. More likely to happen in the first year of use and then during/after the third year, according to industry statistics. Five year old drives are somewhere in the 20% failure rate category.

If I were in the business of writing malware, I'd target the smaller and unprotected user base. Sneak attacks on the complacent work well for a short time. Kind of like hanging out in "Gun Free Zones" and feeling secure about being able to protect yourself against armed lunatics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts