Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a Red Wing 877 boot guy for MANY years. My last two pairs have not been up to grade, I am thinking of a brand change. Anybody wear Thorogood boots? I try to get 1 year of constant use from my boots.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I looked at some Thorogoods and tried them on in the store. Although made in the USA, they were uncomfortable and seemed to be crudely made. I was not impressed. YMMV

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Look at Danner. The ones I have had have been universally comfortable and they have lasted a while. Also they recondition boots, some after many years of use.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I wore 877's (The original Irish Setters) for years. One day about 10 years ago, I was in a small boot shop in Grabil Indiana, and they had some American made Carolinas that looked better than the 877 I had on. The are a round toe CA 7001 8" boot. I've been buying them ever since.

Wayne

·
0 Posts
I buy Thorogood boots for work. They really are a cheap boot.

I buy them because they have a cheap model with a side zip.

If you are looking for a high quality boot that will give you daily service for several years, Thorogood is not the boot for you. I get about 18 months out of a cheap set of side zips. (And I don't even work on my feet primarily.)

Danners are outstanding boots, I've owned many pairs. I finally tired of lacing and un-lacing boots every time I stopped home for lunch or to let the dog out. Went to side zip boots and I'll never go back.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Any decent shoe repair shop or leather smith can put a side zip in most any boot. Still have my Corcoran jump boots with side zip.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Gents, I'll take a good look at the Carolinas. They look to have the same vibram sole. APrice, I also wore spit shined Corcoran jump boots!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Re: side zipped boots. When I was in the army, we used to have side sippers installed on our all-leather "combat boots". Can cobblers do this now?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts