Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a TC Encore muzzleloader, as the county I live in, prohibits center fire rifles. I was amazed at the weight of the trigger pull. My scale only goes to 12 pounds & it would not register. This thing has to go 13-14 pounds. I was hoping it had an adjustable trigger, but no luck. Is this normal? Anyone else experience this, or did I get a dud? I found a company out west that sells trigger kits, but I don't want to start that right now. Butch from Pgh

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you tried placing your thumb behind the trigger and pushing it forward, that is how my old T/C trigger 'sets'.

Pulling it then, it is about (1) pound or maybe little less. Good luck

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
If its a Encore frame, there are simple things to do the correct the factory's lousy job.

Check out the above site.

If you don't want to do it, there are numerous "gunsmiths" that specialize in the TC Encore and Contenders.

My hunting Encore frame has a 1.5 pound Stratton trigger job, Sweeeeeeeet!!! My Contender pistol has about the same, done by SSK.

"Is this normal?"

YES in almost all "new" firearms. Have to meet Federal regulations and poor quality of employees, makes for lousy firearms. IMHO

Good luck

·
Registered
518 Posts
What Senior Shooter said should work, push the hammer forward while pull the trigger. Bullseye shooters use to "marry" the trigger and hammer too reduce the trigger pull. But I would be calling TC and telling them I was not happy with it. The trigger pull on my Omega and Contender is sweet. When you married a S&W trigger too much the trigger and hammer would move forward at the same time and the gun would not go off! I do not think your gun has a rebound slide which stops the gun from firing if cocked and dropped. If it does and you go too far you get to use the warranty. A great trigger is necessary for great shooting.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made a setup to test the real trigger weight. I set the gun upright in a vise and then hooked a wire on the trigger. I attached a can on the bottom of the wire. I started adding shot until the trigger dropped. When I weighed the shot, the scale indicated 15 pounds, 2 oz!!!!! The first time I tried to shoot it, I thought I forgot to cock the hammer. I'm gonna try the suggestions above. If no luck, TC is gonna get a call.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I figured it would be adjustable like my T/C Contender. You simply adjust a small Allen screw to lighten the trigger weight of your desire. Then you cock the hammer and smack the side of the gun with the palm of your hand to make sure it doesn't fire from being bumped. Sounds silly but is what my instructions state. Of course this just lightens the pull weight and does nothing to remove creep etc.

·
Registered
452 Posts
the encore doesnt have a set trigger like a T C hawkins side lock or anyother side lock at least mine didnt if you have to do anything other than squeeze the trigger properly get it fixed beni

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mac1 gave you the right information. Unlike the Contenders, the Encore has a non-adjustable trigger, other than a small set screw in the rear of the trigger guard to adjust overtravel. In order to adjust these triggers, the easiest thing to do is contact Bellm and order a trigger spring kit. It's a very easy job to do, and I have done several of them and gotten all of my triggers down in the 1.5-2.5 lb range. One other thing you might check if you decide to tear into it yourself, is make sure that the sear surfaces on the hammer and trigger are smooth, and don't have rough spots or machining marks that could be adding drag to the trigger pull. Garrett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts