Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can it be that a real gun is even used in a demonstration, let alone point it at someone using blanks. Why were live rounds even in the vicinity where possible confusion would cause this to happen? This was an accident that was 100% avoidable. No reasoning for this at all, especially for law enforcement training involving civilians.

Woman, 73, Shot Dead By Police Officer During Gun Demonstration

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Unbelievable. Probably had a live round in the chamber and slid in a mag of blanks. Everyone involved in that demonstration should lose their job and be charged with criminal negligence.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Unbelievable. Probably had a live round in the chamber and slid in a mag of blanks. Everyone involved in that demonstration should lose their job and be charged with criminal negligence.
If I saw the video correctly the shooter had a short barreled
When I looked at the video it appeared the police officer who was playing the bad guy was shooting a short barreled revolver. No magazine involved. Certainly there is sufficient blame to go around - but IMO it's the police officer's responsibility to make certain of the type of rounds the gun is loaded with.

I predict the widow will own most of the police department and possibly the town.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
We live in Watters World, where most of the public is either texting, focused on dancing with the stars, listening to rap music, or playing Poke-Mon! Pitiful. Ed

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I seriously doubt that the images in the video showed the actual shooter. I'm sure they were all file photos from similar events.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
A closed action is a loaded gun. Some say empty guns with a closed action doesn't kill people... hmmmmmmm

I agree with Mr flyn..... this should not have happened

never let your guard down on safety ....... never point your gun at something you don't intend to shoot...... sad very sad..

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
Safety is paramount. There should have been a safety oversight person that checked everything. Ultimately it is the person holding the gun with the responsibility to make absolutely sure things are right and not rely on anyone else for something so important. Most of us learned that as lesson number one, treat every gun as loaded and check every gun you hold yourself and never point at anything you don't want to shoot, no exceptions. Personlly I would not trust someone else's word that what they handed me were blanks, just as I would never put someones reloads in my personal firearms unless I watched him reload them.
Aloha

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Before my retirement I was a firearm/chemical agent instructor for the State of Wisconsin. Unless you were teaching the nomenclature of a particular gun or were teaching live fire techniques on the shooting range; I cannot believe they weren't using a training weapon. We routinely used handguns, shotguns and rifles in our nomenclature classes. When teaching these classes it only made sense not to use the plastic training weapons. However we never allowed live rounds in the classrooms. We routinely used "real" weapons to more effectively explain and teach the nomenclature and operation of the handgun, rifle and shotgun. All of these weapons were taught using "dummy rounds", not blanks! We took 10 minute breaks each hour of classroom activity. After each break the instructor along with 2 students cleared the weapons before continuing class functions. (Even though no live rounds were present). This incident is inexcusable. It is not an accident; it is negligence and the instructor needs to be held responsible.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Agreed it should never have happened. The correct training methods requires 'blue' guns which are capable of chambering and firing only blank or marker rounds. Under no circumstances should real firearms be used.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One,e should have loaded his own pistol with the blanks - anytime we had dry fire practice no live rounds - no where -in pockets anywhere in the room.
Sometimes I just can't see how accidents can happen..................

1 - 11 of 11 Posts