Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This dumbass pulls into a gas station for munchies, parks next to a car load of kids blaring their music at high levels, and gets into a foul language shouting match with them.

Then imagines a shotgun and claims there was a verbal threat, gets out his gun, loads it, then fires ten rounds into the car killing one of the kids.

He then leaves, goes home, and lays low, claiming he was going to turn himself in. Except the cops found him first after taking the time to get a warrant. If he was on the up and up he should have called 911 as soon as he got to a safe distance.

And this assumes he's even being truthful about seeing a shotgun in the first place and simply did not let rage take over.

I see no Stand Your Ground issue here because there isn't one. SYG does not cover reckless panic in the absence of a threat. His subsequent actions are going to paint a bad picture.

I predict the jury is going to find him guilty. Under the circumstances, and in the absence of any additional information to the contrary that might come out at the trial, I would too.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
He's screwed

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Talk about the kind that give us law abiding gun owners a bad name. Freak'n stupid moron. Nothing screams guilt like leaving the scene and hiding. Then when caught claim self defense. Paaslease

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another kid portrayed as "all American".
The initial reports said the teens also left the scene and then came back. I obviously wasn't there bit IF the teens left the scene and then came back they had the opportunity to ditch anything resembling a gun.
The shooter was stupid for leaving and may hang for that reason alone.
"We" don't have the whole picture but the press is weighing in heavy on the side of the poor "all American" kid because it's the popular thing to do these days. Travon was also portrayed by the press as a "good" kid and everyone carrying a legal gun has an itchy trigger finger just looking for someone to shoot.
American citizens with guns are EVIL and out of control all American kids are all innocent victims.
Just sayin'.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points.

The presence of a shotgun is going to be a major focal point in this trial.

The prosecution is obviously going to claim there wasn't one.

The defense is going to claim there was one and it got ditched. I can't see them claiming there was something that looked like a shotgun, because nothing was found in the car and I doubt the kids would have dumped something that wasn't a firearm.

So far this guy's actions do not give me any confidence in his story that there was a shotgun. I'd cut him more slack if he had acted in good faith and called 911 as soon as he was within a reasonably safe distance from the scene.

The defense better be putting in some overtime to link a shotgun to the occupants of that vehicle. They've got to convince a jury there was a shotgun or put enough reasonable doubt in their minds to conclude the kids dumped one.

Without better evidence to the contrary, I still believe he acted recklessly and without justification.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a point raised on another site...

What kind of group did the ten shots go into?

If they are grouped tightly towards the youth that the shooter claims held the shotgun, that might give more credibility to his story that there was a shotgun (or an object that looked like it), versus the shots landing scattered all over the car. And it would give more credibility that the youths ditched a shotgun.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Would a western style gun fight or perhaps a dueling match be covered under a stand you ground law? Incorporate fast draw training in the carry permit class and maybe start a new era of gun fighters!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts