Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today. I'm in temporary self isolation since I may have been exposed to COVID-19 last week at a funeral.

Anyway, the club I belong to where I do my pattern testing is usually empty, so I went there to re-do my 8-petal versus 4-petal test, this time with different wads.

Two other guys showed up, but we maintained our distance.

I picked up this wad and it still had a pellet embedded in it! I'd never seen that before!

I had planned to do some more testing (teaser...how do lesser-quality guns like Mossberg 500, CZ-712, and Stoeger Condor pattern, compared to a known good trap barrel?) but the breeze wanted to take my pattern paper away and it just got too damn hot.

So it was just the 8-petal vs. 4-petal. That other testing will just have to wait for another day.
IMG_8004[1].JPG
IMG_7999[1].JPG
IMG_8000[1].JPG
IMG_8001[1].JPG
IMG_8002[1].JPG

Results to follow after I run the photos through Shotgun Insight.

May take a few days before I can get it done.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Incidentally, I am testing two Downrange wads against each other. The DRRT12 4-petal wad and it's sister, the DRHRT12 Hybrid 8-petal wad.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
2,023 Posts
What brand of shot did you load those with? There's 3 very distinct flat spots on that pellet from (what I can only assume) the force against the other pellets. Just curious as to the hardness of the shot.

Looking forward to your findings.

PS....thanks for all the work you do to bring us all some very informative results!

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Yea that's weird. I've never seen a pellet stick in a wad either .

I was shooting a TV that quit working with OO Buck and it riddled the wads like the one you have pictured... (might be some of them still laying in the front yard) (the TV is) LOL

Your pic just makes me think it was just wimpy plastic? I really don't remember ever seeing any other wads that chewed up...

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What brand of shot did you load those with?
I reloaded these shells with McAlister shot that I got as part of a deal when I bought my MEC9000H.

It tested out as "Medium" to "Medium-Hard" crushing 0.024" - 0.025".

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like there was also a lot of pellets scrubbing the walls of the barrel by the holes in the pedals.
Seems to me these 8-petal wads have thinner petals than the equivalent 4-petal wads.

To me...this is another reason not to use them.

Anxious to see what Shotgun Insight tells me.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I think the Downrange 1 1/8 oz wads the DRRF8 and DRHF8 the petals thickness was the same that I used. Just FYI I have also seen a pellet stuck in a wad & have seen some waterfowl loads with steel shot with a large pellet stuck in the base. If I am retrieving a Duck If I go by a wad floating on the surface I will pick it up as well as my spent shell. For years I just steped on them into the mud and now I just bring them home and put in trash.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I ALWAYS avoided the 8 petal wads when I was loading because they are flimsy and tended to fold over causing interrupted loading and delays without any clear advantages. Premium trap loads - Win AA and Remington - seem to ONLY use 4 petal wads in their shells. So...?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I know the wad contains the shot, protects the barrel from the shot and most importantly creates a tight seal for the gases that helps propel it out the barrel.
Does a split wad perform better than a solid one?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Tim, I found a .410 wad with 3 pellets embedded in the bottom of the shot cup just a week ago. I think they were factory AA's too. At least that is my guess based on the once fired empties in the hull bin. 3 pellets out of half an ounce already is bad for shooter confidence-- but probably not much more.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
When I got into Trap shooting in 2014. I was working up loads using the DR gold for 9/8 oz. Upon patterning, I had as many as 5 bbs stuck in the plastic base.
I have yet to find a stuck bb in any other brand?

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Soft plastic? High temperature? Both?
Probably a bit of both. The temperatures generated during combustion are very high. Probably over a thousand degrees Fahrenheit for just a fraction of a second.

I have seen even factory wads with heavy field loads "extrude" into the ports of a semi-auto (this was observed by two little "teats" on some of the retrieved wads when I was doing some field load patterning years ago, before I knew what patterning really meant...) It took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Reactions: sandcountyalmanac

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there a possibility that the pellet came from a different shot? As in was it picked up off the ground after other shots?
No. This wad was picked up from the ground between the shooting positions and the pattern board. No way it was from another shot.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does a split wad perform better than a solid one?
Depends on what you mean by a "split wad" and what you mean by "perform better."

1 - 20 of 44 Posts