Trapshooters Forum banner

Thinning out my squirrel hunting guns......can't decide...

2593 Views 17 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Squirrel_Hunter
I squirrel hunt with a laminated Remington 870....a synthetic Remington 1100 LT-20.....and a synthetic Beretta 390.....all are 20 gauge. I am thinning out my collection to make some room in the safe....but I can't decide on which ones to send down the road and which one to keep. I think the safe bet for future parts availability is the 870....which concerns me on the 1100 and especially the 390. All these guns are in mint condition with low round count. The 870 and 1100 are similar in weight .....the 390 seems noticeably heavier to tote around in the woods. Opinions?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,061 Posts
I don’t think parts availability should be a concern of yours- think about how many shells you shoot during squirrel season- all 3 of the guns you mentioned will last a lifetime of hunting. Pick the one that you like to bring into the woods the most. If they’re equal there, bring them all to the pattern board and see which one shoots the best on paper. For me, I always shoot a full or “turkey” choke on squirrels, so I would go with whichever one patterns the tightest.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shotguns for squirrels? Tsk tsk….
Yea....I know.....but the public hunting preserves where I am hunting has too many nearby farm houses, livestock, and highways. I just never got comfortable shooting up in the trees with a .22. I am too worried where the bullets might end up.

· Registered
97 Posts
I am a big fan of 1100s and 11-87s. My father and I have used them for years and haven't had to replace anything. We just hunt with them so not heavily used. Since remington is going to continue making 870s you could replace the 870 easier. May be hard to find an 1100 for a decent price if they do not continue to manufacture them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.