Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting a Browning Citori Field grade for trap for the past 6 years. I've put up some good scores, but it's time for a change. I'm interested in both the XT and 725 in trap combos. I also like the CG Summit and Magnus trap combos. Are there any other guns that I should look closely into?
Thanks

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
I understand everyone operates on a different budjet so really befor laying down your hard earned money if you can try befor you buy.A lot of times the old throw up to the shoulder and check it goes ok till you get it to the range and then find out there are things you really do not like or wish that it had.If you are at your local club and there a members there that have a shotgun model that you are interested in buying talk to them and find out first hand what others have experienced.If someone is nice enough to let you try thiers buy them a round of trap or a box of shells ect. to show appreciation :) I have owned and shot all the models you mention, the 725 Trap from Guns Unlimited in the Gracoil equipped model in the combo as you cannot purchase the single bl. from Browning.THe CG Summit and Magnus are the same except for cosmetics and are a nice trap gun but carry a taller rib than the 725 and the trigger system is different.I have shot my dads 725 combo a lot and feel it is a good value for the money, I know you hear stories about Browning customer service ect. but most competent gunsmiths should be able to service a 725 no problem.CG has fantastic customer service but is located in Maryland so there is more shipping involved if you have to send it back. I shoot a Perazzi and really like the platform and a MX-2000 combo would be really nice depending on your budjet. HOpe this helps George

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'd take a good look at the Perazzi MX3 Special combo in the For Sale section. One of the best around and sometimes hard to find. I like mine.

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
Chieftanin, under $8500 still offers up a lot of options for sure.If you want to buy new take a good look at the prior mentioned Berettas and Brownings.There are a lot of good used guns for that price range also including Kolars and various others.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Chieftain, don't be misled by new prices. In Perazzi's experienced guns are highly recommended. You might want to talk to JACK.

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
Thanks for the replies and all, but the Perazzi is a bit out if my price range. I was thinking more of under $8,500 range.
With that kind of budget, you have a considerable amount of options.

If you attend a large state shoot, the Grand or some other large shoot there usually are several dealers who allow a person to test drive. If your club folk don't have an option in guns to try, this could be another avenue to follow.

IMO most guns should work for you provided the barrels shoot straight. With adjustable stocks POI shouldn't be a problem. Triggers can be corrected. When I buy and lay down serious jack, I will only purchase a gun that I can pattern to determine that it shoots true left to right and if an O/U, that both barrels shoot to same impact.

Any gun will take you targets to learn. It can't tell a lot in shooting something 25, 50 or 100 targets. Get something that shoots true, feels comfortable and has a track record of dependability.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
As others have said, go to a big shoot and shoulder a lot of guns. Then shoot a bunch. It will be a good time.

Be sure to shoot an unsingle before you buy a combo with one. Unsingles are not for everyone, at least not for me.

I'll second the MX3 Special suggestion. Or MX6. They are both in your price range.

Jack will chime in soon.

David

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
There are a lot of older guys retiring from shooting and selling there Ljutic Mono's. You can get a great used one for under 3K that you can sell later for the same you paid for it. And they really do last a lifetime or two.

·
Banned
818 Posts
The MX-2000 /8 is under $8,500 and is like new ... Americase included ... PM me and we can talk ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Whether it's a $2,000 gun or a $20,000 gun, all modern shotguns shoot straight. The key is in the fit. Buy any gun that meets your budget and happiness quotient and then spend whatever it takes to get the gun property fitted. I spent 2500 on a Browning 725 Trap and 2500 at Wenig Custom Stock for a custom fitted stock. Just won my class at the Great Lakes Grand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I decided on the CG summit trap combo. After I bought it from Jaqua's, we went directly over to the CG vendor and he helped me fit the gun and get me a CG hat and T-shirt. I've put 50 rounds through the gun and I'm only one or two targets off of what I was doing before. I can't wait for Monday

1 - 16 of 16 Posts