Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 barrel set for my Kolar Max TA and have never used the top single. Now I'm starting to see a few good shooters using the top single at the 16yd line and am tempted to give it a try. I'm shooting AA ~96.5% but can't break through that last barrier. It's taken a long time to realize that long handicap is NOT simply a longer version of singles, but a different game altogether. Hopefully, some of you will share their thoughts on the subject.

PS: my strategy has been to use faster shells and avoid changing POI or making changes to the gun, from singles to caps. Maybe it's time to give the top single a chance at the 16yd line?

best.... mike

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
For some reason my F/F Rem M-32 shoots better out of the top barrel.
The pattering board shows no difference but the scores are better.

Go figure.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Give the top single a try....can't hurt. I give into temptation once in awhile to see what the fuss is all about. Ed

·
Banned
818 Posts
Try the over under / under barrle and see if that works for you ... You can try any combonation with your set up ... Big Leo used to shoot the under barrle of his over under for singles ( I think, per his DVD ) and he did rather well with it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
If you use your TS barrel instead of your unsingle, your POI will rise slightly because there will be greater upward rotation under recoil. That is probably what you need. Go ahead and try it.

I found that I needed to raise the comb by 3/16" from the singles setting to center targets at the 27.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I shoot a top single, never could handle the unsingle. Mine is set for 27yd caps and it's never changed. A very well known shooter told me years ago to set the gun for caps and learn to shoot it for singles. Works for me.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me clarify:. I'm talking about trying the top single barrel on Singles only, with both top single and Un-Single barrels adjusted to shoot the same POI, with no changes made to the stock configuration whatsoever.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mike...the top single change will be something to look forward to....keeps the game interesting!
(ask me how I know Ha!)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You can learn to shoot just about any set up. But if you have an adjust able rib on the Top Single, zero that in for singles.
Get a trap to your self and lock it for straight aways from post 3. Assuming all your chokes shoot to the same POI, put in a full choke. Tweak the front sight to get smoke balls.

If non-adjustable rib change the comb using washers so you can change it back for caps and/or doubles. Unless of course you have adjustable ribs on the Un-Single and/or the O/U. Then adjust them and leave the comb for the Top Single.

I thought that Leo Harrison III used the top barrel of his O/U for Singles, the thinking was that it would be practice for the 2nd shot in doubles.

Jason

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
After shooting 400 singles at the Eastern zone with a 97.5, perhaps rushing off to change the gun to break higher percentages is not a wise path, although it will be fun to play with the other barrel, after the Westy. I did go from the 35/.250 to the 25/.250 barrel/choke, and while not making as many targets completely dissapear, I was still able to smoke plenty of 'em. The top single is choked 35 but is a .240 tube, so there's more to consider/play with. Meanwhile "ain't broke, don't fix it" may de the best path. A trip to the pattern board should be step one.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I hate to be a wise ass but maybe more concentration on breaking the birds and less on what damn barrel to shoot, keep it simple..... Just my opinion

1 - 15 of 15 Posts