Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite load is Federal Papers, 12c1 was, Fed 209 A primers, 1-1/8 oz. Magnum shot, and Red Dot.

I used a MEC650 and wondered which bushing I shout begin with for the change to 1 oz. loads? My reloading manual is not convenient just now.

Thanks, Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Explain the reasoning of going to 1oz. Load. Does 1/8 oz. make it easier on the shoulder
Steve
Steve:

No particular issue. Just an experiment. It's a long way to Spring shooting up here in Minnesota. Recoil doesn't seem to be an issue. My current load is 1145 fps ... so light loads I guess. I shoot 3 dram Gold Medal Papers for registered handicap too. Reloads for all else.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What velocity do you want and do you have a particular wad do you want to use? I used Alliant’s data with Top Gun hulls and 12SO’s- tried them and they are very soft shooting, even for 1-oz. loads.
Today 1145 fps. I have thousands of original Federal 12C1 wads, no issue there.

·
Premium Member
6,445 Posts
Steve:

No particular issue. Just an experiment. It's a long way to Spring shooting up here in Minnesota. Recoil doesn't seem to be an issue. My current load is 1145 fps ... so light loads I guess. I shoot 3 dram Gold Medal Papers for registered handicap too. Reloads for all else.
I know a lot of 1oz. Shooter that kick my butt.
Steve

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Yes, that 1/8 ounce does make a difference in recoil. I load 1 oz 1145 fps for may first shot of doubles. I stopped shooting doubles this year due to low scores and low component availability. I have used a few flats of the 1 ounce re-loads I already had, and they are great for practice and very low recoil. I also load Fed Papers 1.125 ounces with a 1145 fps recipe. I sure do like them for singles competition. I can also use them for handicap, since I never earned much yardage. I am using tightwad powder, because thats what I have on hand. Still smells good.

·
Registered
SKB 85TSS; Beretta 694
58 Posts
My favorite load is Federal Papers, 12c1 was, Fed 209 A primers, 1-1/8 oz. Magnum shot, and Red Dot.

I used a MEC650 and wondered which bushing I shout begin with for the change to 1 oz. loads? My reloading manual is not convenient just now.

Thanks, Dusty
I am currently using a Mec 650. Was just loading tonight in fact. So, here is what I am using for my 1oz and it gives a fairly nice and comfortable shooting shell.

Cheddite
-17.5 grains of Alliant Promo (#31 bushing gives me that) (I weigh powder every 100 shells or so just to make sure and it is within .3 grains every time.
Clay buster CB1100 pink 1oz
1oz shot
Winchester AA or Remington Nitro/Gun Club

they all load up nicely no matter if it’s a AA or Remington

I’m sure something similar to that would get you a nice Federal.

·
Premium Member
11,933 Posts
So no one subscribes to "the more pellets heading at the target the better"?
Yes, actually, most people do. Most of the best shooters use 1-1/8 loads for everything. But not all.

But there's more to it.

If you are a good enough shot that you normally put the center of your pattern within 10" one way or the other of the target, a 1 ounce load is "enough." The extra pellets are just icing on the cake.

And, if recoil bothers you, and it bothers a lot of people, the fatigue you experience over 100 or 200 targets cannot be ignored.

But for long yardage handicap, an argument can be made (and has been made by Neil Winston) that the pattern density is thin enough when the pattern gets "out there" that those extra pellets may be the difference between a broken target and a lost target.

Singles and doubles? One ounce, if you are a proficient shooter, should be plenty. If you are really good, 7/8 ounce is probably all you need.

But more is better.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Everyone does, until they want less recoil. I first used one ounce for a very low recoil first shot of doubles, IM choke. The theory was less recoil would improve my move to the second target. I don't know if it worked, because I suck at doubles no matter what my first shell has in it. But I did learn how soft a one ounce 1145 fps load can be, and I liked it!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts