Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect there are things that our Dad's passed down to us all that we cherish. Whether it be guns, fishing rods, pictures, memories created from activities, etc. I have a Model 42 that belonged to my grandfather and that is something that holds a special place in my heart.

However, one of the things that my father gave to me that I cherish will probably seem quite silly to most. I have two small hand painted and hand carved figurines that my father gave to me. They are of unknown origin and could have possibly also belonged to my grandfather but I don't know this for certain. My Dad passed away several years ago and if he provided the origin of these items I cannot recall the story . . . and now have no way of retreiving the information. I've attached a couple of pics. Anything your Dad or someone special provided to you that you pick up or notice from time to time that brings a smile of remembrance to mind ?

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
The knowledge and work ethics were more than any material stuff will ever be.

But what you posted is rather unique, they look like they are pretty old, maybe you ought to take them by Antique Roadshow the next time it is in your area, might have one of those big ticket items

But if you have my luck they will just be worth the sentimental value, which is good too

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
When I was young, my father (since passed) gave me a pat on the back when I did good and a belt on the a$$ when I acted up. That taught me respect for myself/others and gave me a work ethic! Sad to say, those gifts are something I don't see a lot of in the younger generations!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
A Winchester 67 lingle shot 22, which went on to my son and grandson.

And a hatred of paying interest for almost any reason except family necessity.

HM

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I would say work ethic, but compared to my Dad I would have to be considered a bum. He worked all the time. He grew up in the Depression and then went in the service in 1941 just in time for WWII. Spent that time manning a machine gun in the Pacific.

When he RETIRED he purchased a plot of land and developed a subdivision and built houses! At the time there was a shortage of bricklayers so he laid the brick on one house by himself with my Mother being his hod carrier. They were in their 70s at the time.

I think about him all the time, and he has been gone 15 years. The only thing he failed at was producing a son that was worth a crap.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
A fat lip when I turned 17 and thought I was a real tough teen. Smarted off to him while in his face out in his wood working shop. After I got up off my butt, I gained a huge respect for my old man. Believe it or not, I learned a lot that day and got what I deserved.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
If your asking what "things" our dad gave us, not principles or life's lessons, then it would be a Trap Grade Winchester 1200 in 12 ga at age 14. Gawd was that thing big for me for a while, now it seems like a toy, still gots it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love. Unconditional Love. I never realized it but after having 3 boys, it must have been even tougher having 5. I hope the acorn truelly doesn't fall far from the tree.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
The older I get the more I realize how smart my father really was. Every day I still try to live up to his standards of personal integrity, his faith in God, his love for his family and his duty to our country. He was tough as a pine knot and always had a smile.

I miss him so much it hurts.

Thanks Dad!

Bob

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,679 Posts
"Every day is Christmas" and by that he meant he gave to his family like it was Christmas every day. I didn't understand until I had my own family.

Also, "If you can't have fun while you work, why work?" Claimed the kids from town would work for free it was so much fun working with us on the farm. May have been far fetched, but all the fun made the hard work in the heat something we could handle.

Didn't always get along. In the end I regret not taking out a loan and buying him a 55 Chevy after he got sick. He loved that car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Love, integrity, morals, work ethic and a set of Craftsman wrenches that I am still using 30 years later.

What am I glad neither my dad or mom gave me.....being right handed and left eye dominant!!! Getting either one of them on target with a pistol is hard. I am getting mom a laser grip soon if I cannot trainer her...LOL

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
My Dad, who will be 87 in January, gave me alot of things over the years, but most of all important to me was he taught me to stand up and be someone. He didn't care what I did in life, but to be the best I could at whatever I did. He has has always been there, or a phone call away. Thanks Dad.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My dad will be 88 this coming April. He has a pacemaker and three stents, as well as two hearing aids that no longer do their job. Still goes pheasant hunting with me and can almost out-walk me!

When I was 19, I couldn't believe how damn dumb he was. I enlisted in the Navy, went to 'Nam and came home after 2 years active duty.

Couldn't believe how smart he'd gotten while I was away...

Kiv

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
A lot of you fellas are lucky to still have your Dad around, I was 32 when mine passed, it was on our sons 10th birthday

1 - 20 of 48 Posts