Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a Pacific Tool Dl-366 and have only been loading shotshells for a bit over a month now and this is what I've learned.
1. On used reloaders pull them apart and clean the old oil and grease off all surfaces. Also gives you an idea of how each piece works and is adjusted.
2. Operate press and ensure it operates smoothly without a shell in it. If it doesn't look carefully at what needs cleaned or adjusted.
3. Inspect your powder/shot measure. Make sure it is gunk free, seals arn't worn out, charge bar is straight and true, lastly the bearing rolls freely.
4.If you have the old style pull auto advance it is possible to retro fit to new push type with just a little modification. If you need help I'm more than willing to tell you how I did it. Just ask.
5. READ THE MANUAL
6. Pick one type of shell and begin to adjust your stations one by one starting at station 1a, all others will set off that one.
7. Pick your reloading components so you know what reload data to use, powder companies have great resources available on-line.
8. Beginning to reload find good published data and select the appropriate bushing using the bushing chart as a starting point (then weighing the load to ensure you are getting what you want) a good scale is a must.
9. While reloading keep an eye on your primer drop. Make sure the tube has primers and that they dropped as you advance the turret plate.
10. Operate the handle slowly and smoothly. If there is a decent amount of resistance something is wrong. Stop and figure out whats wrong, don't force it and becareful you don't redo shot or powder station twice.
In my case usually something with the primer before I figured out I was going too fast and my primer plate wasn't adjusted correctly. The primer would turn sideways and get trapped between the turret and the platen.
11. If wad doesn't press all the way down you probably have a double charge of powder and you need to stop and check everything your doing.
12. Place something under the press to catch the powder when you miss a primer or forget to shut off powder/shot.
13. When you dump shot on the turret it goes everywhere. Whats worked best for me is to remove the turret plate and clear the shot out, it likes to tuck under the edges and not let a shell pass by.
14. Stock replacement parts especially wear items like springs and wad fingers. Midway has had many of the needed parts.
15. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Especially on this site. There are some amazing people with a plethora of knowledge that are willing to give advice. I have had some great replies to questions that really kept me from going bald.
16. Don't let the press intimidate you, take your time and learn your press the way it works, the rhythm the speed.
17. Enjoy what you are doing and have fun with it, if it frustrates you walk away ask questions and re-engage.

So for some that are looking to start with a 366 I hope this gives you some help. For you 366 vets out there please add to this list of things I'm sure I missed. Also would like to say thank you to you vets for the advice thus far.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Excellent list. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
15. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Especially on this site. There are some amazing people with a plethora of knowledge that are willing to give advice. I have had some great replies to questions that really kept me from going bald.

Kevin
I wish the internet had been around when I started reloading. Maybe I would have more hair than I have now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My 366 is up and running, some new parts, some upgrades, cleaned and lubed and a new appreciation for what sloooow means. Everything on the down stroke works fine, upstroke also if the speed is right. Finished shell ejection and primer drop both seem to require the same slooooow speed and aren't very forgiving, to fast and the primer jams, to slow and the finished shell doesn't eject or falls foreward. So far I've loaded 2-1/2 flats on it and I think the machine is fantastic, shells look awesome, just don't let the primers run out.
Thanks to Nebs and all the others who coached me through the learning curve!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Drill a hole in the primer feed tube to see when primers are running out. Also works as a primer stop by pushing up primers from Botton with a piece of coat hanger or Allen wrench and inserting another thru hole.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Add a light under the head that shines on the shell plate area.

Reactions: TXGREG

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a slot milled in the primer feed so I can see the primers, problem is I have to look at it. I need better ambient light to see the primers in the tube but I do have an LED light shinning on the shell plate. The machine runs great!! All my problems with it are due to lack of experience with it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Been loading on a 366 for 35 years, currently have 5 set-up....each one of them has a Unique Personality....close in function and adjustments...but each loader has their own little Twerk....They are a great press....Learn yours and you will enjoy years of beautiful shells ....JMO...Wadcrusher

1 - 9 of 9 Posts