They left me hanging... | Trap Shooters Forum

They left me hanging...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WadHopper, Jun 30, 2020.

1. WadHopper

WadHopper What squad am I on?

After lightning put a stop to our shooting, we sat for about an hour or so waiting for the storm to pass. Once the squads were called back to the firing line, half of our four man squad didn't show up to shoot. I was willing to wait but the show had to go on so we forced to shoot without them.

It was annoying to say the least and unfortunately I let my frustration override my focus and I tanked on that box. I was able to run the last box but man...to say I was disappointed is an understatement. Sucked.

@BIGDON told me later that day, "You can't let that stuff get ya cause that's trap, better get used to it". I know he's right but how common is something like this? I've never had a storm delay before and just thought it rude as hell to leave the rest of the squad hanging. Not to mention, we all shot well together, had a great rhythm going and everything....

2. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

That's a great example of how important a positive mental attitude is toward good shooting performance.

BIGDON is absolutely correct, but it's not just in trap. Crap like this happens in all clay target sports.

As I've said before, the best shooters don't let anything bother them, or at least they never show it.

The best I've known were all honor graduates from the school of "Never Let Them See You Sweat!"

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

canyonman, hbar314 and WadHopper thanked this.
  3. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Well-Known Member

WadHopper:
    Be thankful that you weren't shooting doubles.

Ron Burdick

elvino and WadHopper thanked this.
  4. Trapshooter1100

Trapshooter1100 Active Member

We had rolling storms all day Sunday at a registered event. Three or four rain/lightning delays of about a half hour each. Each time the crowd got smaller. I thought good. Better chance for me to win some cash. Hahaha.

I've been working extra hard on my mental game and Sunday was a good test. I shot a personal best in singles and caps and tied my best in doubles.

Charlie Becknell and phatkaw thanked this.
  5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Maybe they did it on purpose.

broadway john, tcr1146, Heeringa and 4 others thanked this.
  6. marbax

marbax Well-Known Member

Thing like this happen all the time, usually when you're runnin' 'em, keep your focus.

7. champ188

champ188 Active Member

It happens, especially if they are not shooting well and the weather is bad. I could have done that Saturday after the first 100, but no way was I not going to shoot the targets I paid for. What sucked for me was on Tuesday's caps that I pre-squaded for no one else showed up. I had them check and yep I was a one man squad. Found out later that there were several one and two person squads. Don't know if others pulled out or what happened, but I let it bother me and my score reflected my frustration.

WadHopper thanked this.
  8. WadHopper

Im sure they did. The squad leader and I had a good run going. My guess is they made up the rest after the clouds parted. In hindsight, maybe I should have done the same thing.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Let your CG do the thinking

WadHopper thanked this.
  10. WadHopper

I wasn't shooting that gun for that event, I gave it to @Suffdog so he could take it for a spin.

Suffdog thanked this.
  11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Come on Wad tell them you bought a new gun.

Now you learned a big lesson about delays and shooters. You are the only definite. You will be ok the next time and there will be next time. You had a good shoot be happy.

Don

Dukefan and WadHopper thanked this.
  12. WadHopper

Happy Birthday ;) I won't tell anybody how old you really are.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

When I was a serious competitor, I would make an effort to train in bad conditions. Cold, Windy, raining, burning hot, etc. I wanted to learn to overcome distractions. It did work. I had some wins in poor conditions, where I really did not score higher than my average. Those who would normally beat me lost a few targets off their average. .

Claypoppy, entropy, richg99 and 1 other person thanked this.
  14. WadHopper

Tuesday I had the rudest awakening I've ever experienced on the line. I was in my zone doing my thing, in the steady rain of course, humming right along only dropping one up to this point....gust of wind came along and whipped my hood on my rain jacket up and over my head, dumping what felt like ten gallons of ice water down my back, crack and legs. I still broke my next target but holy hell guys...that was a distraction times ten.

15. Dustydoo

Dustydoo Well-Known Member

During the delay I was watching the road leading out. Trailer after trailer of golf cart, and side by side leaving. I wondered how many gave up.
    I was already down enough birds that my score wasn't going to be worthwhile. But I wasn't giving up.
    Besides the wife went on to shoot her personal best.

BryanF, phatkaw and WadHopper thanked this.
  16. Heeringa

Heeringa Well-Known Member

I got lucky Saturday. We finished the front 100 just as it was starting to drizzle. By the time we got back to the car and had our stuff put up so we could drive up to get some burgers for lunch, it had started raining pretty hard. Sat under the picnic table shelter for the whole delay, and almost until it stopped raining until we got restless and needed to walk around. Then I ran the next 99.

17. Dukefan

Dukefan K-80 TS or Seitz 1045 TS Supporters

Come on Pat, lets hear more about the new gun you bought last week!

18. WadHopper

Dukefan and trapshootinkid25 thanked this.
  19. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Well-Known Member

WAD, Had you been conducting clinics between posts? Just a thought why they didn't return, LOL.

Dbl Auto and WadHopper thanked this.
  20. WadHopper

All I said was their feet were in the wrong position! Evidently that's a touchy subject...or so I've heard!

trapshootinkid25 thanked this.