Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I had a opportunity to experiment with the tightest choke tube I could find for my Grand Italia. I normally shoot a #6 for singles (= .024) today I shot a #11 (=.044) constriction. Produced a 49x50 after mising the first target out, even to my surprise. Smoke balls like I havent seen in a long time. I'm anxious to give it a try at hdcp.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
.044? Meh, try a .062 turkey choke.

Reactions: baron von

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Best smokeballs I ever got was with a BT 99 plus with a turkey choke shooting 1080 fps #8 shot...low velocity shells and tight chokes equal super tight patterns as a general rule. On the other hand I hate low velocity loads as they mess up my timing.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Constriction as marked doesn't mean much either -- how they pattern in YOUR barrel is what it all boils down to.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Here's my take. Trap is a statistical game, while a very tight pattern (produced by whatever choke makes a very tight pattern in your gun) makes those perfect smoke balls, a slight miss with that pattern vs. a slight hit with a more open pattern is the difference between winning and loosing. I see constrictions of the all American's quoted and think that's great for them, I shoot what give me the best average score, day in and day out. I hate to chip a target just as much as the next guy but I REALLY hate to miss one. For instance, I shoot a .006" first shot in doubles and haven't missed a first shot for a long time. There is plenty of pattern density to break the target and a little more leeway on a bad move on my part; works for me.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
My take is that it is whatever helps me concentrate!

If the difference between a 25" pattern to a 30" pattern is going to cost you a target, you may be in the wrong sport!

Neil Winston, has posted here several times, "that the ability to point into the center of a moving 10 inch circle will determine your ability to run a 100 straight!"

If you have that ability then a twenty inch pattern is a little bit more then you need!

I have also been told that going to a 15/16 or 7/8 oz. Load will tighten you pattern up by at least a choke when compared to 1 1/8. My best over all scores have been shot with the light weight loads.

Another take of mine is that anytime you say "I am doing this a just have to concentrate more!" you generally will!

·
Premium Member
12,902 Posts
Said differently, would a slightly more open choke have given you a 50X50??

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
A lot of European guns have tight barrels and tight chokes, early Perazzi's made a lot of guns with chokes in the mid 0.40"'s which may have been caused by the slow transition to plastic wad cups which changes pattern dynamics from fiber carded wads. I have a Grand American barrel with Wilkerson barrel work that appears to have Briley extended ported chokes. One of the chokes is .50" which I tried and was not impressed with breaks. I called Tom Wilkerson and asked him why a .50", He said he had nothing to do which is something I Know little about.

Surfer

·
Banned
197 Posts
I've been shooting a Midas Grade extra-full/trap choke out of my BT-99 for the last couple weeks after changing from a full. There really hasn't been any real change in my scores to speak of, but my breaks are much better when I'm not in the middle of the target. Where I would get a chip or cut the target in half I'm actually smoking just half the target. That tells me that the pattern is tighter and more uniform on the outer edges which puts more pellets on the target when I take a bad shot.

I really don't buy into the idea that a less constricted choke will buy you any additional targets when you take a bad shot because if a flyer actually hits a target there probably won't be enough of them making impact to break the target and if the target is at the outer edge of your 30" pattern it is also possible that your pattern will be scattered and a target could slip through unmolested.

The way I see it, no matter what choke you use you're still working with a 30" circle, the tighter the choke the more pellets in that circle. If your target isn't in that circle it's not going to break, if it's on the outer edge of that circle then it may or may not break depending on the density of your pattern.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
My dad just recently went to a extra-full in his Browning 725 and his scores and quality of breaks went up right away. Remember you need to use the correct choke for the distance that you are taking the target.If you pattern your choke of choice at the yardage you are taking the targets at you can get a better idea of performace. If you have the opportunity take a range finder and flag a trap out and flag it in 5 yard increments out to 20 yards and from a safe distance off to the side have someone keep track of your breaks from a round of 25 and see what our ave. distance is that are taking the target out of the house. I worked with a shooter who from the 22 yard line consistently took targets between 15 and 20 yards out of the house so he was working on 37 to 42 yard shots. Take a look at your choke of choice and see how it performs at distance.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I must admit that I've just become a tighter choke guy.

In the past my logic (if it's called that) was that when I'm off-target the bird might break with a more open choke. Scores were ok but fluctuated shoot to shoot too much. Why was I thinking I was off-target and needed an open choke to compensate? Because that's just the normal mental progression of those shooting open chokes at 16 yard, right? I've heard tons of guys say it.

By accident I put a full choke in and had a real awakening - birds disappeared and that continued throughout several rounds. My logic now is that I'm really not off-target, and I haven't been all this time, so I want the most shot in that center (roughly) 20 inch hot core. It has begun to pay off and I'll not move to more open chokes any time soon. I'm not off-target and apparently I never was but had it in my head that I was. I just had a more sparse core, with more open chokes, that let some birds slip through that shot cloud. Never again.

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
Its strange that we never see names/ATA number and averages of those advocating weak chokes!

Somehow many folks think they are evidently phenomenal pointers in that when there not centered up on a target they are yet so close every time that a couple or three inches of pattern width makes immense difference. But what these shooters fail to recognise is the positive mental/visual impact that hanging smoke has for repeated consistency and increased performance level.

But if your brain needs the cuddling effect weak chokes can provide, proceed on.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Pheasantmaster
I had the pleasure of taking a trap clinic from the great Leo Harrison. He advocated for full chokes, not just for him but for all his students. He would have agreed with your reasoning in this topic. Thanks

John

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Setterman,
Not saying Tom's a fibber, I called him because the barrel is marked Wilkerson and is backboard with lengthened forcing cones but has extended chokes which is not one of Tom's signature modifications. The barrel could very well be a fake or just some of Tom's very early work. My call to him was prompted by the very tight choke and he responded with he never choked a gun that tight and was probably used for card shooting something I've heard of but don't know much about. In reviewing my post, I left out a couple or words which would have clarified what I was saying, It's a problem I have when my dyslexia kicks in, I can't control it as I did when I was younger, sorry.

Surfer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts