Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I ran across a Winchester 1911 autoloader. You cock it by grabbing the barrell and pushing it toward the stock. Apparently it was the initial design of the Browning A-5. Do you guys have any input on this strange gun? I could buy it for $300.00.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Make sure you don't cock it by pushing the barrel toward the stock, that is why it is called the widow maker. Reach up with your left hand and pull the barrel back while pointing it in a safe direction. They had issues with cracked stocks and forends and a reputation for heavy recoil.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My dad bought a used one around 1940 or so. Got a new forend and a hand full of parts. Fixed it all up and went hunting. Bird got up and Dad pulled down on it and touched it off. The last shot went straight up, into a bridge deck. I think the first shot killed the bird. Don't know about the others.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
If that gun was produced today it would be recalled quicker than it could get on the shelf.

It pains me to say this because I love guns but, IMNSHO they all should be deactivated and kept for bad examples of firearms design.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
If that gun was produced today it would be recalled quicker than it could get on the shelf.

It pains me to say this because I love guns but, IMNSHO they all should be deactivated and kept for bad examples of firearms design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.