Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The factory Browning single-shot BT has been made in several variations over the years.

BT-99

BT-99 Plus

BT-99AR

BT-99 "High Shooters"

BT-99 Youth Model

BT-99 with Gracoil

BT-100

etc.

Would someone be so kind as to enumerate all of them and give a brief explanation of their distinctions ?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'll try, but I am not an expert. I would suggest you contact Browning or one of the highly esteemed Browning gunsmiths with specific questions.

1.) The basic BT-99 was an affordable single barrel trap gun that became very popular very quickly. You could get it in several different fixed chokes, in 30 or 32 inch barrel length, (later 34" was added,) with regular or Monte Carlo stock. Later on, the newer BT-99s were offered with choke tubes.

2.) The BT-99 Plus came with a built in recoil reducer and an adjustable rib. I think the adjustable comb and buttplate were also standard on this model.

3.)The BT-99 AR was built for a specific retailer and came with an adjustable rib.

4.) The original BT-99s were reputed to shoot at about 60/40 and many shooters who liked the gun requested that Browning make a gun that shot higher, so Browning responded with a gun that shot considerably higher. These guns can be easily picked out because they had distinct letters in the serial numbers.

5.) The youth model has a cut down stock to fit youngsters and smaller lady shooters.

6.) As far as I know, Gracoil has always had to be added after market. I could be wrong about this, but The Graco company is an entirely different entity than Browning Arms and the two have never collaborated on a new gun.

7.)The BT-100 was manufactured to be a newer and improved version of the BT-99. It features a drop out trigger with simple adjustment capabilities, ported barrels, Invector Plus choke tubes, a higher rib. Some people say that Browning dropped the BT-100 and returned to the BT-99 due to popular demand. A knowledgeable friend told me that Browning stopped production of the BT-100 because they they nwere losing almost $1000 on the sale of each gun. These were made for only a couple of years back in the 1990s. Martinpicker

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Graco made a replacement drop in reducer unit for the BT99 Plus guns.

BT signature models came with a hot rod paint job.

BT99 Max has a rib like the 100.

The grandfather of the BT99 was the Ithaca 4E.

The father was the Miroku Daly.

HM

·
Registered
355 Posts
The higher shooting bt-99s also had the competition forend more like the xt than the beavertail forend normally on bt-99s. Joe

·
Registered
348 Posts
There are also a BT-99 Golden Clays Editions, this gun is rather rare and is perhaps the top of the line as far as beauty is concerned in the 99 family. Extra care seems to have been given to the GC guns, especially the blueing and wood fitment and choice. The GC I own, has a ported barrel, gold inlays of a dove turing into a clay bird, gold trigger, grade 5 wood usually feathered and highly figured and a factory Gracoil recoil reduction system with LOP option. The GC I have came in your choice of 32" or 34" barrels with Invector Plus choke tube set.

Also I am aware of a BT99 Stainless or Nickel (not sure which it is) that had a factory laminated stock and forearm and is a rather unique 99 variant, there appear to be very few of these made with the laminated stock wood.

Observations, Older 99's have a long tang on the trigger guard. Also, some of them had no choke tubes but were fixed choked. Some fixed choked 99's were in fact 2 barrel sets, one full and the other opened up some for 16Y shooting but I have not been able to mic the bores. Some shooters say the early 99's had a thicker walled barrel. I do not know that to be fact.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Elaboration on the BT-99 Golden Clays: These guns were made for one year (1994) in the "old" configuration with the long tang, ejector, and competition forend. They were reintroduced in 2003 with the gracoil, adjustable comb, extract only, and beavertail forend.

Elaboration on High Shooters: The original "high shooter" was the 1970 model. It has a different stock than other Bt's. It shoots 70/30.

While these are great guns, (I have 3) they were not well received in the midwest when introduced. Comments of "Jap Brownings" and "real Brownings are made in Belgium" were frequent. Remember this was less than 30 years since Pearl Harbor, and anything "Japanese" was not too popular.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The golden clays bt 99 is still made and does come with a Gracoil.
Also the laminated stock stainless bt 99 is not really stainless. I believe it is nickel.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I shoot with a guy that has a Golden Clays Stainless. 1993 or 94. The Nickle Laminate was a 2007 Shot Show Special, non catalog. However in 2007 they also had a blued version with laminate stock and forearm. I think they were a Gander MT. exclusive. Thats the only place I ever saw them.

Wayne

·
5,251 Posts
There were two (2) Pigeon-Grade BTs...

The original was the deep relief engraved Grade 2 (I own a 1979). Fixed full choke with the semi-beavertail forearm and upgraded wood and ejectors.

The 2nd generation Pigeon as I recall was blued with Gold Filigree saying "Pigeon"... I am not knowledgeable about other features.

My guest gun is the SHOT Show special, with nickel finish barrel and silver nitride receiver, Grey laminate stock, beavertail-type forend with extractors and choke tubes.

Respectfully adding,

j.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts