Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With reference to the thread about the guy who set a loaded gun on his foot and many like it, I see a common practice that makes me cringe. There are many shooters with break open guns, who, after shooting at a target will lower the gun, muzzle first to the pad, and then open it. The proper way, in my view it to lower the gun to a mid-waist position, break it, extract or eject the empty shell, then rest the muzzle on the pad. I see many new shooters do this and feel it's an unsafe practice when considering O/U guns or miss-fires, where there's the possibility of a live shell in the chamber.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I would think with the recoil, broken target and noise would let the shooter know that the contents of the shell has been evacuated from the shell housing.

Safety protocol says with a mis-fire to keep the muzzle pointed down range for a few seconds to see if it will go off before extracting the shell.

If you feel that any shooter in your squad is unsafe leave the line. I'm sure everyone involved will understand.

Reactions: Gussers

·
Registered
909 Posts
With reference to the thread about the guy who set a loaded gun on his foot and many like it, I see a common practice that makes me cringe. There are many shooters with break open guns, who, after shooting at a target will lower the gun, muzzle first to the pad, and then open it. The proper way, in my view it to lower the gun to a mid-waist position, break it, extract or eject the empty shell, then rest the muzzle on the pad. I see many new shooters do this and feel it's an unsafe practice when considering O/U guns or miss-fires, where there's the possibility of a live shell in the chamber.
Anyone who places a closed gun on their foot..........
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
There are many shooters with break open guns, who, after shooting at a target will lower the gun, muzzle first to the pad, and then open it.
IMO, this is an unsafe practice. When someone does this, they need to be approached, and in a KIND way, be told to unload their OPEN AND UNLOAD their gun BEFORE resting the muzzle on the pad.

·
Registered
18,760 Posts
Bunch of safety Nazis taking it too damn far. Once the effing gun fires there is no danger in 80+ year old Ron Walker setting the bbl. down on a pad to serve the damn gun. Or 25 year old Randy Dandy doing the same.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
How is a fired shell going to go off again? Do you shoot magic shells?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Suppose Bubba loaded two and didn't know he did???? So... After firing one shot, there is a loaded gun. Right?

So, safety-first says assume gun is loaded, which means open before resting barrel on ground.

·
Registered
18,760 Posts
Suppose Bubba loaded two and didn't know he did???? So... After firing one shot, there is a loaded gun. Right?

So, safety-first says assume gun is loaded, which means open before resting barrel on ground.
You assume what you want but there ain't no bloody way to load two in a single barrel trap gun.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts

Then he would be removed from the shoot for violating the one shell in the gun rule. No more Bubba. Try again with another dumb scenario.

·
Registered
214 Posts
how about small people ie. women or kids just starting to shoot who cant hold up the gun put it on the pad and close the bolt scares me

·
Registered
18,760 Posts
Flashmax, what's the first rule at the Golden Gun Club?
ATA rules when on the trap fields. Remember, the whole of this is about on the line shooting. So. Show me an ATA rule that tells me that my shooters, while on the line, have to unfold a break open shotgun in the air after their shot. Show me an ATA rule that says Ron and Marylin Walker can NOT set their gun muzzle down on their pad after each shot before opening and serving their shotgun. This ain't about pump guns or autoloaders.

·
Registered
18,760 Posts
how about small people ie. women or kids just starting to shoot who cant hold up the gun put it on the pad and close the bolt scares me
Totally different set of facts. The above screamers aren't talking about that. They are talking about a fold up gun AFTER the shot is fired.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Come on guys, let them talk. This is some funny stuff, I don't care who you are!!

Sound just like a Democrat, this is the way I feel it should be done so you live your life how I tell you!

·
Registered
18,760 Posts
Yeah, gun saftey is always funny stuff.
The devil is in the details. Are they really talking about safety? No. Some of them THINK they are but then there is a whole lot of propaganda posing as safety out there. The ONLY real safety on any 'gun' is the person handling it. We all -know- that people can't be trusted so we have these other people, with no real experience, making up a bunch of rules that everyone must follow. Whether those rules have any safety benefit or not.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Damn. I have been shooting some form of hunting, firearm or archery competition most of my life from age 12. I can count the number of people I have seen hurt during said participation on the fingers of one hand. They were just sprained ankles, bloody noses, torn webbing between thumb and finger from pistol slide, etc. Nothing serious. I have never seen anyone hurt at an ATA shoot. What is all the freaking fuss? Considering the tens of thousands that shoot in shotgun sports alone each year I would say things are pretty darn safe. Most of the infractions bandied about above haven't and usually don't result in actual injuries. That doesn't downplay the infractions but they are dealt with and life goes on. Safety is everyones business and it seems to be working pretty well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts