Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago at an auction, I won the bid on a box of reloading stuff which contained 6 boxes of #57 shotshell primers. Knowing they were to small to fit in modern hulls, they sat on the shelf. Even though I have plenty of primers, with this reloading component pandemic going on, I decided to test the soda straw trick. Cut the straws about 1/4 inch long and found they were a nice fit on the primers. With the shortened straw on the primer, they fit into some once-fired Winchester HS hulls I had. Not a tight fit by any means, but they stayed in place. Went to shoot a round of trap today, and to my surprise all fired and there was no problem. Now I'm wondering if I can use these same hulls again with the soda straw primers or if it's a one time deal.

Don

· Registered
433 Posts
A couple of years ago at an auction, I won the bid on a box of reloading stuff which contained 6 boxes of #57 shotshell primers. Knowing they were to small to fit in modern hulls, they sat on the shelf. Even though I have plenty of primers, with this reloading component pandemic going on, I decided to test the soda straw trick. Cut the straws about 1/4 inch long and found they were a nice fit on the primers. With the shortened straw on the primer, they fit into some once-fired Winchester HS hulls I had. Not a tight fit by any means, but they stayed in place. Went to shoot a round of trap today, and to my surprise all fired and there was no problem. Now I'm wondering if I can use these same hulls again with the soda straw primers or if it's a one time deal.

Don
Is it a special kind of straw that you used and did it stay in placed when fired without any firing pin face marks or damage to the receiver?

· Perazzi MX10RS
2,093 Posts
If I remember correctly, from when I did the straw trick many years ago, the straws from McDonald's were a perfect fit. Probably not the case anymore, but would only cost a cheeseburger or two to find out. Can't walk into Mceedee's without getting a bite. :cool:

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it a special kind of straw that you used and did it stay in placed when fired without any firing pin face marks or damage to the receiver?
Seems there are at least 2 sizes of straws. The first one that I got with my order at a fast food joint was too big in diameter. I saw a whole package of smaller diameter straws at Walmart and they turned out to be a perfect fit. No damage to the receiver. Will try reloading the fired hulls tomorrow and see how the shortened straws fared.

Don

· Registered
2,465 Posts
You're welcome. I take full credit or blame for coming up with the straw fix some years ago. I wouldn't use the hulls again. Sleeves stay in some. When trying to reload on a MEC 9000 the spent primers with the sleeves get stuck in the tube that drops the spent primers. After a few it just jams it up. More fun to just leave em at the club and find out later who the lucky scroungers were.

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, so here is what I found in loading these hulls for a second time. About 90% of the time, the straw attaches itself to the primer pocket and does not come out with the primer. What I do is insert a pin/needle between the straw and the primer pocket, and pry it away enough to grasp it and pull it out with a pair of tweezers. I found the straw to be in remarkably good condition, with just a little soot on it. Obviously, all this is time consuming and you would not want to be doing it on something like a Mec 9000, but it works well with my Grabber. Also, I don't use the Grabber's primer feed system, but rather drop them individually into the primer seater.

Don

· Registered
138 Posts
Okay, so here is what I found in loading these hulls for a second time. About 90% of the time, the straw attaches itself to the primer pocket and does not come out with the primer. What I do is insert a pin/needle between the straw and the primer pocket, and pry it away enough to grasp it and pull it out with a pair of tweezers. I found the straw to be in remarkably good condition, with just a little soot on it. Obviously, all this is time consuming and you would not want to be doing it on something like a Mec 9000, but it works well with my Grabber. Also, I don't use the Grabber's primer feed system, but rather drop them individually into the primer seater.

Don
would a paper straw work better?

· Registered
138 Posts
You're welcome. I take full credit or blame for coming up with the straw fix some years ago. I wouldn't use the hulls again. Sleeves stay in some. When trying to reload on a MEC 9000 the spent primers with the sleeves get stuck in the tube that drops the spent primers. After a few it just jams it up. More fun to just leave em at the club and find out later who the lucky scroungers were.
So proud to consider you my friend!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.