Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phil's T&F February article is about Poi.
He stated that it's time for shooters to measure poi in inches.
Example
Measure from the point of aim to the center of the pattern in inches.
1 To say that the gun patterns 70/30 leaves alot of room for interpretation .
2 To say that the gun shoots 8 inches high at 30 yards leaves no room for error.

Henry

·
Registered
22,876 Posts
Example
2 To say that the gun shoots 8 inches high at 30 yards leaves no room for error.

Henry
He’s been reading and agreeing with our friend, Neil.

·
Registered
22,876 Posts
I said that long before Neal ever wrote an article.
Well then, Neil listened to you and constantly tried to get the word out on here. There is GREAT resistance to the inches high versus percentages to describe point of impact. One poster even broke out a graphic target to show percents. Quite artful. But wrong.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,243 Posts
Example

Henry
What about our English and Aussie friends? Should we have a conversion for X centimeters at Y meters?

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
I have said for ever -- inches -- I have used a laser for years to determining the true center of your pattern -- a laser for POI and a patterning board for choke selection. -- the only true way to get a positive results
The only problem with your theory is that your laser will rarely show POI.
Each barrel is unique and must be shot off a bench to determine true POI.
MG

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
I first saw the reference of inches above aim point in articles from SHOTGUN SPORTS mag in the early 90's. Can't remember the guys name, Ed K. or something, a pass Grand Amer Singles champ that used the reference.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
What about our English and Aussie friends? Should we have a conversion for X centimeters at Y meters?
Personally, I work in yards, feet and inches when it comes to things to do with where shotguns print and pattern. I've no idea what the Aussies use.

I've never subscribed to the "percentages high" school of technospeak since most people I've met who quote it haven't the first idea what they're talking about.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,243 Posts
Personally, I work in yards, feet and inches when it comes to things to do with where shotguns print and pattern. I've no idea what the Aussies use.

I've never subscribed to the "percentages high" school of technospeak since most people I've met who quote it haven't the first idea what they're talking about.
I wonder why that is? Perhaps because American trap is the primary sport/discipline where a high shooting gun is desired, and thus the American measurement?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I wonder why that is? Perhaps because American trap is the primary sport/discipline where a high shooting gun is desired, and thus the American measurement?
In the UK trap shooting disciplines, i.e. DTL, ABT, FITASC Universal Trench and Olympic Trap, a gun that prints slightly high is generally preferred.

We probably shoot more domestic ABT (your "wobble"), FITASC Universal and Olympic Trap competitions than you do in the US, so we're presented with low 'worm burners' as well as steeply climbing targets as a matter of course. It's generally reckoned that a very high shooting gun, like some ATA shooters use with great success on ATA targets in the US, is therefore unhelpful.

Most English side-by-side shotguns that are used for 'walked up' game and rough shooting are built to shoot slightly high simply because most of the targets that would be encountered in the field are rising as they try to get away.

I know of no serious competition shooters, gun makers or shooting schools in the UK, the exception being a few hack magazine writers who fall into none of those categories, who employ 'percentage high' technospeak as opposed to 'inches high at so many yards' to define where a gun prints.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
I said that long before Neal ever wrote an article.
Phil,
I've read the article 2-3 times now and plan to do some POI checking when weather permits. One question. At the close of the article you mention never changing the POI for altitude, high/low targets, etc once the gun is set for singles. Do you change anything when moving back to handicap distances? I've heard some "experts" talk of going to a "higher shooting gun" when they get beyond the 25 or so.
Thanks.
Tim

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Well then, Neil listened to you and constantly tried to get the word out on here. There is GREAT resistance to the inches high versus percentages to describe point of impact. One poster even broke out a graphic target to show percents. Quite artful. But wrong.

inches, area, percentages ... very simple mathematical concepts.

Given that the red circle defines the pattern area, please explain ...mathematically ... why it is "wrong" to say 80% of the area is above the point of aim and 20% is below and , therefore, this gun patterned 80/20.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts