Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Drew,

That's a very interesting post indeed about a part of the plan to train aircrew during WWII.

British Commonwealth Air Training Plan - Wikipedia

One of your links mentions No7 Air Gunnery Training School at RAF Stormy Down in South Wales. One of my relatives, who was later killed on night operations, trained there in 1943. Most of the pilots there at the time were Polish or Czech and the aircraft were worn out Fairey Battles. Apparently the pilots were so bored flying would-be air gunners around plinking at drones towed by tugs they took books to read while they were flying!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hello all, I have been working on a masters thesis proposal for a paper that I plan on writing. Currently, my tentative title will be “The recreation sports of clay-pigeon shooting: The impact it had on the Aerial Gunnery Training Program of World War II.”

I am trying to establish for the non shooting community, the recreational nature of trap and skeet shooting prior to WWII. Dick Baldwin's, The Road to Yesterday will be one of my major secondary sources that I utilize to establish this point. I would like to know 2 things:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions on other like minded books to use for trap shooting?
2. More importantly, does anyone know of sources I could use that establish the pre war recreation nature of specifically skeet shooting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to reading your responses.
The Grand...75 years .

·
Registered
5,148 Posts

·
Registered
5,148 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Most of the information about clay shooting during WW 2 came from my Dad and my Uncle, but they never spoke too much about it. They did their best to teach me to hunt and helped pay for my clays and shells when I was at collage and during my apprenticeship when I earnt peanuts for wages.
I am fourtunate to have a collection of British books on the history of Shotguns and Clay Shooting.
Devonian.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Most of the information about clay shooting during WW 2 came from my Dad and my Uncle, but they never spoke too much about it. They did their best to teach me to hunt and helped pay for my clays and shells when I was at collage and during my apprenticeship when I earnt peanuts for wages.
I am fourtunate to have a collection of British books on the history of Shotguns and Clay Shooting.
Devonian.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts