Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a year of loading.
I have always been a consistent loyal brand customer. Bought the same powder the same wad and primer . Never had to change my loader adjustment settings, consistency to a proven combination of components, a satisfied customer. A loyal consumer.
This years changes and the journey continues 16 lbs limits, with more shortages.
This years Journey
Clays 16 lbs, then changed to International clays, next Green dot, next Promo, then Tite-wad and now the final change WSH this December the only thing I can get now. All have produced a good quality reloads but I am tired of CHANGE.
All shot well, never changed target break performance, just the dreaded loader adjustments, I think I could open a shot shell reloading hot-line.

Of all the powder force changes I do not like titewad, it shoots very well, makes perfect crimps, but it will find every opening it can in your loader any brand, the powder will migrate out of every opening and get all over. I tend to hate it.

I want the good old days back 10k primers, 10k wads, and 64 lbs, 8 eights of one brand. Is it a dream?
How many powder changes have you made this year?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bigfoot I feel your pain. I too was a one powder person. Used the the same wad and primers for a long time. Tried American select which is a very good powder but became unavailable,then I had a chance to get some red dot which required a wad change with the primer I'm using. Now have a lot of extra wads I'm not using. Unless I see clays powder stacked to the ceiling I'm sticking with what I have. Tired of having a closet full of components and tweaking the reloader. Also relabeling all the boxes gets to be a pain. I know it sounds a little anal but I like to know what I'm shooting.

·
Premium Member
12,893 Posts
I actually come at this from the other side.

For years I have bought components when I saw a 'deal.' Never tried to screw anyone over, but often someone would try a new load, decide they didn't like it, and they would then dump the components. I took full advantage.

I load 1 oz. over Red Dot / Promo - with a very light powder charge (16.5 grns) wads were never an issue - as long as they held the 1 oz load I can interchange them at will. Primers are mostly Winchester 209 - with some Federal, CCI, and Remington added to the mix. But again, with the light powder charge interchanging is not an issue.

In inventory are about 25K wads, 30K ~ 35K primers, 100K once fired AA shells, On the last of the eight pounders Promo powder right now (Had 8 when all the hooey hit the fan), but it is something I can luckily replace easily.

I do have a shot maker so that is less of an issue - need the right weather to run it though, so once or twice I've just bought a bag or two of shot to carry me over.

I've never felt 'under shelled' and I haven't noticed any real issues when swapping components.

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
I do not recall Titewad leaking from any orifice in my 366. And, I think my "discovery"of WSH this year may cause me to switch to it on a permanent basis after I use up all the other stuff I have. Good bye, Clays.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I buy the majority of my components from private sellers off Craig's List so changing reloader set ups is common. At this moment I have Red, Green, & Blue Dot, Promo, 700X, Longshot, Lil'Gun, WW 540, Unique and a few others on the shelf to use up. I have every MEC powder bushing from size 22 to 40. 4 brands of 209 primers, good supplies of 5 different hulls, 7 or 8 different 1 or 1 1/8 oz wads. The 2nd and 4th edition of the Lyman shot shell reloading guide and new and old reloading guides from the powder manufacturers. The trade off to this complexity is low cost shells.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
A lot of us were one or two powder people until the powder drought hit! I was lucky in that I got a heads up and began to stock up on powder but, not quick enough to get my favorites in quanity. I have had no less that 8 different powders at one time. I'm using them up now and hope to get back to my regulars. Red Dot/ Promo/ Green Dot. I am hopeful the mess may someday end and the panic buying stops, unless another left wing liberal anti gunner gets the white house and the congress doesn't revert back to lib tard control! (powder is being produced for the ammo companies at an astounding rate)Lead prices are the sticky point since lead is traded on the open market.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I just shuttered my loader until I could get my Green Dot again. I bought new shells during that time which were readily available in my town. I'm back to my favorite loads of Green Dot and DownRange Fig 8 wads crammed in a Remmy hull.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've been fortunate enough to have enough loaded shells to see me through this powder dryspell. I'm out of powder but hopefully Clays will be available when I get near the supply of loaded shells I have on hand......

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Have been reloading since the mid-60s and have gone from Red Dot, to 700X, to Clays, to Clay Dot, and finally trying the Nobel Vectan Prima SV. Shoot mostly 24gm loads, in the 1200-1300 fps range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts