Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Been there, done that, won't do it again. We found it was just as easy to reload the trap after every two squads, and it only took a couple minutes. We also found that our worker safety organization didn't allow anyone under 18 years old to be around machinery, so it took away any child labor possibilities. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
My club is a all-volunteer one and members have to perform duties as trap safety officers from time to time, this includes loading the trap machines. When it gets busy during public days (we're open to public on certain days), we do the same thing and have one person in the trap house hot load the machine.

I don't do it the way she does however, I don't try to reach across and load the magazines that are further away, I just load those that are right in front and wait for the further ones to rotate themselves to my position.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
We had 3 Winchester arm buster's and 1 Winchester automatic at our club back in the 1980's to early 1990's. I got all the trap help lined up including my son. Paid them $5/hour.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I'm sure somebody on this site can identify the club where this was recorded and the kid that recorded it. My suggestion is that NEXT TIME this club throws targets the first order of business is teaching this kid and any others the safe way of loading a moving machine. Until that's done and documented I wouldn't let any of them anywhere near a trap house.

For starters one should NEVER EVER reach over a trap machine that's in operation. Likewise for reaching around one - as this kid was doing from about 2:24 to about 2:40.

As for effeciency...

Target capacity varies depending on the machine's brand and model. However Pat's and GMV's typically hold four full boxes of targets (540). A competent loader can fill an essentially empty machine* in less time than it takes a full squad to shoot a round. That's loading approximately 540 targets plus 125 more that the squad shoots. You can't do that piddling around with three or four targets at a time as she was doing.

*An "essentially empty machine" means there's only a couple of targets left in each column.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If she thinks this is tough she should been in the trap house putting targets on a good old Winchester-Western 1524A .........................
This is how I made a little extra money when I wasn't even a teenager yet. Really hated the job but I would still always volunteer to do it as it was one of the only ways I could earn extra cash at such a young age.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Been there done that, so have two of my sons back in the day of the hand load.
The kids today got it easy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Interesting, but her approach seems a bit inefficient (loading 3 or 4 at a time).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Remember in the day you had to have two trap boys to shoot a round of trap. One in the house and one to pull the birds and score. If you broke a spring you pulled the trap and sat another in it place. Took at least 30 minutes to replace the spring. Trap houses were made out of wood with a 1/4 inch of steel plate sheilding the back wall to protect the boy in the house just in case the house was shot.

Trap boys were paid $1.75 and the head boy $2.00 an hour. Had to use a wheel barrel to hump the clay targets to the houses. Only eight boxes at a time. Used white targets at night and yellow black rimmed target during the day. Now they use a pick me up truck and orange targeted 24/7.

http://westernretro.net/_img/slideshow/V1524_cocked_large.jpg

One thing that really stands out from back in the day is pulling couple of rounds of skeet for Joe Torre, Dal Maxville, and Steve Carlton every Wednesday afternoon when they were in town.

Life is good

·
Registered
171 Posts
I spent many many hours being a "setter" when I was a kid. We used to it our boom boxes on 10 and chain smoke all day. One of the highlights of summer was taking a camper up to work all week at the Illinois state shoot at Mather land-o-sports with a bunch of buddies.

I also worked as a bird boy at the live pigeon shoots. That was a LOT of work but it paid well.

Fond Memories.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Way back when I started, the low score on a squad would set the next round on the old 1524's. I can remember many times I spent many long rounds setting traps. Until my scores got better, it was usually one round shooting and one round setting targets. Damn, they knew a sucker when they found one and you usually spent your time in the hole.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts