Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shooting for quite some time at the Cardinal, love the place, the people, the experience, but there is one thing the needs attention. Anyone that has ever shot there knows the background on banks 5,6,7 is not the shooters' background of the rest of the traps. The woods juts out in 3 different levels on those banks, and visibility of the target is a real challenge. Enough so that no one that pre-squads chooses those banks. This leaves the only choice of banks for the average Joe that walks in to squad to be 5,6 and sometimes 7. So to avoid shooting on those less-than-desirable banks, you have to keep checking back at the Central Entry building 4,5, or 6 times per day, praying that the squad god will have mercy on you and open up a bank where you feel you can be competitive. This is a royal pain in the rear. When I pay as much as everyone else- (correction- the pre-squadders pay an additional $2 per squad) I think I should have more choice to shoot rather than 5,6,7, especially when I have had unpleasant experiences seeing the targets on those banks. Pretty sue I'm not alone here.

I squadded my Jr. son on those banks yesterday, and he carded a 76 after regularly breaking in the 90's lately. He didn't know anything about the banks, but told me afterwards "Dad, I just can't see the targets very well on that bank". During championship singles at the Buckeye, Centerburg Youth Trap team holds their invitational youth shoot simultaneously with the 200 singles. Youth are only allowed to shoot on banks 5,6,7 because no one else wants to shoot those banks.

So- what is the solution? If this continues, people that spend $80 per event on options will not shoot, if they have to shoot those banks. I see no "Big Dogs" shooting those banks. They all pre-squad. And the more that pre-squad, the bigger the hole is that the every-day shooter has to fill to stock those banks with shooters so they don't run at reduced squad numbers. Do we need to go to daily draws for banks? Does the Cardinal Center need to fire up the dozers and make the backgrounds similar? We have to wait until the event has started and run 1/3 to 1/2 way through, then they will open those banks to accommodate us, and then we are the last squads shooting while the other banks are finished. So if the strategy is to save money on trap help by filling every squad equally so they all finish at the same time, that strategy is failing.

Normally not the complaining type, been a youth coach for many years, and have worked hard at our local club to make it an enjoyable place for shooters to come, came up with "Ag Day" at the Ohio State Shoot a few years ago with some substantial added money for special Lewis payouts, and a real fan of the sport, but if this hassle isn't addressed sometime in the near future, I'm buying a fishing boat.

Joe Nester

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been shooting for quite some time at the Cardinal, love the place, the people, the experience, but there is one thing the needs attention. Anyone that has ever shot there knows the background on banks 5,6,7 is not the shooters' background of the rest of the traps. The woods juts out in 3 different levels on those banks, and visibility of the target is a real challenge. Enough so that no one that pre-squads chooses those banks. This leaves the only choice of banks for the average Joe that walks in to squad to be 5,6 and sometimes 7. So to avoid shooting on those less-than-desirable banks, you have to keep checking back at the Central Entry building 4,5, or 6 times per day, praying that the squad god will have mercy on you and open up a bank where you feel you can be competitive. This is a royal pain in the rear. When I pay as much as everyone else- (correction- the pre-squadders pay an additional $2 per squad) I think I should have more choice to shoot rather than 5,6,7, especially when I have had unpleasant experiences seeing the targets on those banks. Pretty sue I'm not alone here.

I squadded my Jr. son on those banks yesterday, and he carded a 76 after regularly breaking in the 90's lately. He didn't know anything about the banks, but told me afterwards "Dad, I just can't see the targets very well on that bank". During championship singles at the Buckeye, Centerburg Youth Trap team holds their invitational youth shoot simultaneously with the 200 singles. Youth are only allowed to shoot on banks 5,6,7 because no one else wants to shoot those banks.

So- what is the solution? If this continues, people that spend $80 per event on options will not shoot, if they have to shoot those banks. I see no "Big Dogs" shooting those banks. They all pre-squad. And the more that pre-squad, the bigger the hole is that the every-day shooter has to fill to stock those banks with shooters so they don't run at reduced squad numbers. Do we need to go to daily draws for banks? Does the Cardinal Center need to fire up the dozers and make the backgrounds similar? We have to wait until the event has started and run 1/3 to 1/2 way through, then they will open those banks to accommodate us, and then we are the last squads shooting while the other banks are finished. So if the strategy is to save money on trap help by filling every squad equally so they all finish at the same time, that strategy is failing.

Normally not the complaining type, been a youth coach for many years, and have worked hard at our local club to make it an enjoyable place for shooters to come, came up with "Ag Day" at the Ohio State Shoot a few years ago with some substantial added money for special Lewis payouts, and a real fan of the sport, but if this hassle isn't addressed sometime in the near future, I'm buying a fishing boat.

Joe Nester

This is a real concern for a great place to shoot. I hope that the right people can see and feel the frustrations. It shouldn't be such a chore to try and squad and shoot a reasonable trap at such a fine facility. Just like Rome, it can fall!

·
Registered
14,882 Posts
If shooters are paying big $$$ to shoot, and don't want those banks, open new squads. We had a full squad and wanted to squad out for the rest if the week, but now were going back in the morning after the event starts hoping new squads/ banks will be opened.
If it's raining. We won't squad at all. They just lost 5 shooters on 3 events....or more!
Think about..if those early squads on banks 5,6,7 don't fill out, the event will just last longer anyway as most will wait and squad later on a bank they want anyway!
The " drive in, one day shooters" get stuck on those banks. They have no choice if they want to shoot that day.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
If I remember right the shoot-off traps are in that same area,you should get use to them...you might be in a shoot-off........

·
Registered
14,882 Posts
Two dogs, I've been there in the shoot offs. At least in the shoot offs we're all shooting the same background.
But...first you gotta get there! To get there I prefer a decent background.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
All the big dogs know how to shoot those banks......when they have to.....but untill then......

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Don't disagree with you oleo, but when it comes to shootoffs, the playing field should be level. Here's an example. The 13 yr. old girl in standing in water, shooting against a dark background is my granddaughter. The person she was in the shootoff against is on a different bank further east, dry, no trees. She lost by 2 targets.

watererin.JPG

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Went to the Cardinal Center at the last minute last year for the Classic and spent most of my time on those banks. When it is overcast the visibility is really tough on 4 - 6.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Domed barn orange targets are hard to see when it's overcast all over the East coast. We're not blessed with endless cornfields for a background. As Kay Ohye often says "it's part of the game".

The problem I often see is too many shooters pull in with a full squad without pre-squading expecting to get their preferred bank. If you break up your squad and fill single openings you've got a much better chance of getting what you want. That's life!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This is not a problem w/Cardinal..... Lots and lots of clubs with big shoots have some crappy banks.

Do you want to shoot the bottom of the old Sage Hill in Reno?
Vandalia, East or West?
San Antonio with the banks below shooting over a pond (partially)
Phoenix where there were special trophies if you shot before a certain time because of the sun

No place is perfect.

Just a few

RW

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
This is not a problem w/Cardinal..... Lots and lots of clubs with big shoots have some crappy banks.

Do you want to shoot the bottom of the old Sage Hill in Reno?
Vandalia, East or West?
San Antonio with the banks below shooting over a pond (partially)
Phoenix where there were special trophies if you shot before a certain time because of the sun

No place is perfect.

Just a few

RW
Don't forget the Silver Dollar in FL!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yeah, The band width here won't allow all to be listed!!!!!!!!!!!!! I personally agree with Kaye, It's life, It's trapshooting...It's part of the game.

What about the unfair weather? You shoot at 10AM and it pours rain and windy. At 2pm the guy that kicks your butt shoots in calm sunshine? What can we do? What will we do?

I like to shoot, not worry.

RW

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I went there with a friend when they first remodeled and added traps. Banks West of the CEB were in mud and construction crews were still working on the parking lot, but it was a good place to shoot.

We were in line for something, and were standing behind Kaye and Debbie Ohye. Kaye said the trees were still standing because the DNR, or someone found a "Newt" living there, and the environment had to be preserved to protect the species.

No complaining that I heard.

Danny B

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
This is one reason why I like drawing banks numbers at the beginning of the day. You might have bank #2 for the week but it won't be in the same place day after day either.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Fishburns have invested a ton of money and thier time to create a special place for us to test our skills . I personally dont like to shoot 6-7-8 at elysburg but thats life . Sounds like you got it figured out . go have a hot dog and try again. Trust me if the Fishburns could remedy this they would they are that kind of people, as for the big dogs they do this for a living and pre-squad isnt an option its how they play .

1 - 20 of 172 Posts