Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Pro-Chronograph is working right out of the box, a better chronograph than the Flip open Beta Chrony.

I ran one of my Longshot loads over it 1658Fps about right from what Hodgdon told me. This is the max load 1 1/8th oz w/longshot.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Vendor
19,095 Posts
Gary has it right. The damn thing works right out of the box without reading the instructions. Battery is in. put in the sky screen rods and shades, turn it on, step back about 8-10' and fire thru the screens. Read the result without moving to the unit and fire addl rounds.
mia_2008_030341.jpg

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Gary, what other components you using? The max loads I can find with 1-1/8 oz. shot and Longshot is 1585 fps. and all those are at Max. pressures. 11,300 to 11,500 psi. with Federal, Win, and Remmy hulls. Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
. . . but keep a spare battery taped to it you can use when you forget to turn it off. And you _can_ turn it off, take it home, and still recover the results of the last string of shots to study at leisure. What a good idea!

Neil

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neil it says it will hold 99 shot strings, Total 99 or several shot strings of
99 I don't know did not read it that far, But 99 is plenty.

My friend just found out hi reloads for Hdcp for his daughter were not up to speed and that was the reason for her missses, they are now 16yd loads.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Well 1658 fps with a 1 1/8 ounce shot-charge would tell you that your headache has a logical explanation and you don't need to visit urgent care . . .

Neil

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wayneo look at the loads for Federal Gold Medal Loads.

Here is recipe: Longshot, Winchester 209 primer, Windjammer wad, 1 1/8th oz shot, 38.5 Grains LONGSHOT 10,100 psi

This shell has lower pressures than a new AA SUPER HDCP.

I also use sometimes use a SP-12 wad w/ 37.0 grains longshot, as the wad slits do not go all the way to the base of the wad and seem to pattern tighter but you gat a little deeper crimp.

I wish they would mfgr a clone for the SP-12 wad as it is a good 1 1/8th oz wad when using bulky powders like 800-x using a MEC 35 or 36 bushing.
I talked to Kevin at Downrange and he says there is not a market for this wad.

I have some of the original AA yellow wads and they are deeper wad column petals and shorter base than the Clone yellow wads. Those were the original Winchester AA 1 1/4 oz wads, and there is a difference, but Kevin disagrees with me on it, but I have the proof and it is in the pudding.

I used these back in the days of using 29-30 Grains of Herco before they changed the burn rate and charge rates nto a max 28 grs now with the cleaner burning HERCO.

For games you cannot beat 800-X and it is economical. I have a friend that loads 24 grs 800-X in 1 1/8th-1 1/4- 1 3/8-1 1/2 oz loads, he never changes the powder charge, just the shot charge, it works for him.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Better re-look at the published data Gary, it shows 1585 fps. If you're crono is correct at 1658 fps. you are most likely over max. pressure. I do like those components with 35 grains Longshot.

Wayne

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have one of these. Great little chronos!

Got mine from Midway also about a year ago. $100 delivered.

I just mount it on my camera tripod. Works great and easy to use.

Regards, Pete

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
No need to tape a spare battery to the unit - there is a compartment for one beside the compartment for the battery being used.

Ed

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I learned the hard way to rig up a piece of plexigass to the front of the screen. I had a stray pellet or maybe a piece of wad or other debris poke a hole in the front where you read the numbers. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

(Even that trick did not work when a friend put an arrow through the face, but at least he bought me a new one)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.