Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm only speaking of registered shooting.

Some 15 or so more years back, I did some checking about this "Yes, they'll quit but come back later." I sneaked on to 3 Junior All American Teams as a kid in the 60s and decided to check on my peers. I went back and looked at the guys who were on the teams for several years. (maybe 60 shooters). At that time we'd have all been in our 50s.

Besides me, there was one other guy shooting currently. Only the 2 of us! The others went, I guess, on to living life, perhaps shooting a little now and then for fun, but no registered.

More recently, I checked the youngsters who made our state team for the past few years. Only 2 out of several dozen continued on as registered shooters.

Looking back many years, the "newbies" in the 60s and 70s were young-to-middle aged guys. THAT is the demographic we need to tap! Unfortunately, sporting seems to get many of these. And I don't blame them.

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but that's the way it shakes out.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am 74. Everybody I shot with 10 years ago have either quit shooting or have died. Not registered just talking casual shooting. Golden Years, hah, I feel like crap everyday day just not sure what is going to hurt today.
I Can sympathize..lost my primary shooting buddy of 30yrs + to cancer we thought he beat on March 10..still can't get my head around that

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm a 4H leader for shotgun sports. I realize that few of these kids will keep shooting when the sponsorship ends. But when they vote, will they remember the safe times with guns? Have they learned how to deal with losing or winning with grace? Have they found something fun to do without staring at a screen? Have they learned that they can be friends with a slightly crusty old guy? There is lots more to mentoring kids than teaching them to break a little clay target. At least that's my philosophy on doing this for over 15 years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm a 4H leader for shotgun sports. I realize that few of these kids will keep shooting when the sponsorship ends. But when they vote, will they remember the safe times with guns? Have they learned how to deal with losing or winning with grace? Have they found something fun to do without staring at a screen? Have they learned that they can be friends with a slightly crusty old guy? There is lots more to mentoring kids than teaching them to break a little clay target. At least that's my philosophy on doing this for over 15 years.
You are absolutely correct thank for the time and effort that it takes to be a volunteer.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Personally I never did buy into the youth shooter mindset . I have seen waaaaay more 50-60 year old's with their families raised and gone from home and an ample supply of disposable income to spend than 20-40 year old`s coming back to the sport.....

·
Registered
34,848 Posts
Speaking selfishly, I am glad I was born when I was, so I could enjoy trapshooting during my lifetime. If I was born within the last 20 years past, probably would never have known it.

Reactions: shotgunpeople

·
Registered
31 Posts
There's still shooting going on but it's going further away for ATA shoots. I am shooting trap tomorrow in an event with my daughter. It is not registered. I have been shooting trap since about age 12 and have only shot a partial year of registered targets. I am now 46 years old. I think it depends on where you are in the country, I'm in central Utah and our clubs don't have anything to do with the ATA anymore.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts