Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
How many of us have seen a nice new or used gun in the rack for sale, shouldered it as fit like a glove, shot a practice round or two and it pulverized targets, only to be disappointed once we purchased the gun to realize the magic was now gone?

I have personally seen this scenario happen over and over again. To my way of thinking this has to be one of trapshooting's greatest mysteries.

Vic Reinder once gave me some very good advice which I did not take for a good number of years which was, "What ever gun you purchase treat it like your wife and stick with it through thick and thin. You will be better off in the long run, and use the money you would normally use to purchase different guns and shoot with that money and learn where your gun actually shoots".

Old Vic may have been on to something as I have personally witnessed top trapshooters, state team members, sell their gun that got them in the winners circle in an attempt to buy themselves one extra target.

In almost every case these same shooters never obtained their previous success that they earned with their old original gun. The goal in this game is breaking targets, not fancy wood, bright shinny bluing, or fancy engraving on your receiver.

I wonder why trapshooters put themselves through this agony? Is there anyone out there that had the common sense to stick with the same gun that got them to where they are today? Anyone ever make a change in equipment that raised their scores over the test of time?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Yes Steve, there are quite a few guys that shoot the same gun. You'll find them in the winner circle! The rest of us will be shooting a new gun next season.:(

Ajax

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
In December of 1990, I bought a new K-80 unsingle combo. It arrived on a Friday, I adjusted the comb to where things looked good down the rib and went to a club Saturday morning to try it out. This then-D/20/D shooter broke a 98 and drove home thinking, "Wow, all you have to do to become a decent shooter is spend $9,932 on a gun!"

I kept that gun 18 months and that 98 was the only good score I ever broke with it.

Ed

·
0 Posts
You ever drive through the car lot with your perfectly running car and something catches your eye? Same thing for me. It's all part of trapshooting. The wheeling and dealing, searching and finding, testing and perfecting... All components to what makes this a social sport that expands far beyond the winners circle.

And, like with cars, sometimes you just want to change for the sake of changing.

·
Registered
535 Posts
To continue with the "stick with your gun like your wife" analogy...oh sure you may end up in the winners circle with your thick and thin" ole gal but, you missed out on all the slim, sleek and beautiful models along the way.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I shoot with a guy that goes through at least 2 guns every summer. Sometimes more. It's like he's addicted to gun buying. I know many shooters that have his old guns. Crazy. Bill

·
Banned
996 Posts
I have two guns but only shoot my bt99 plus and I just have the other to loan or to have encase of an issue with the bt99 plus. Never had to use the other yet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Steve,

Could it be that some people can't believe they are going to have bad days trapshooting? If a person shoots real good, say a 95 or better, then shoots like crap, say 65 or so, it has to be the gun, right?

Joe

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I think I have tried (and owned a few) of just about everything the market has to offer. Sold them all, can only shoot 1 at a time anyway. Still grab my 31 most of the time, occasionally do play with an 870 Comp. Ross Puls

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I have my main gun that I bought new in 1978. I have my trap guns whittled down now, to just 4 backup guns. I think I may have caught a virus or something at the trap range.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ed:
Same thing has happened to me years ago. One day, I said to myself what the heck am I doing? Since than I've kept my old gun.
Steve

I hate to admit it, but trapshooting to most is more than breaking good scores. This is one addictive sport for sure. I always felt shooting your first 100 straight can cause some shooters a lot of money and aggravation.

One, they think they have suddenly become a great shooter, in reality, they had a good day of shooting. Who knows, maybe the stars and planets were aligned that day for them?

Years ago, I ran my first and only registered 100 straight. During that following week I shot at 100 practice targets and had a run of 200 hundred straight. I was walking around the gun club thinking I was the next Bonillas.

The next Saturday, I signed up for the singles championship at our state shoot. Before I shot at the first target I was certain the title was in the bag. Long story short, I missed the first three targets on the first trap.

It is hard for some trapshooters to admit that the lure of trapshooting is not breaking great scores for them but the thrill of purchasing new guns and making alterations to them and the first bad score they shoot the search is on for the next new gun. Trust me when I say this, as I have owned well over 100 trap guns in 43 years and have spent a fortune looking for the gun that does not miss.
Steve

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
To be totally honest, I just love guns. No specific kind or caliber, just guns. Two of my sons are here visiting me and we went to shoot Trap and Scrap yesterday and I was trying to figure what guns to take and realized that I had five autoloaders and a BT99 layed out. I had already put two 870's 34 and 32 inch barrels back in the safe. That got me to wondering why I had so many guns and I realized that I just like them. The funny thing is I can usually shoot the same scores with all of them except for that occasional bad day. I will probably never shoot a better average than the low ninties but I'm having a lot of fun trying. Jackie B.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
This is not unique to just trap. Look at skeet and sporting shooters and you will see the same thing. Mike

·
Registered
464 Posts
Steve, I can totally relate. The problem I have is I never get rid of the old gun. I now have in excess of 50 and still counting. Granted they are not all trap guns. Mike

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like guns too, but as soon as I have more than one gun with me, I am shooting both of them, and my scores go down the tubes.

Regardless of why you are in this sport, the friendships made is probably one of the major reasons most stay in this sport. I can not recall one friend that I have other than family that is not in the shooting sports. I just feel comfortable around fellow shooters.
Steve

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Once again I have to agree with you Steve. Dogs, guns, b.s. and cigar smoke. I just love a good shooting club and the people that frequent them. Bill

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm going on 20 years on the same gun.I see the man who sold it to me at the state shoot every year."Don't tell me you are still shooting that thing."

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Crunch, quote: <i>"To continue with the "stick with your gun like your wife" analogy...oh sure you may end up in the winners circle with your thick and thin" ole gal but, you missed out on all the slim, sleek and beautiful models along the way.</i>

Except that the sport model I almost married wound up cheating on her husband and got divorced, while my wife is as reliable as gravity.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts