Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it appears that the Governors are talking about everyone using masks anytime when they are out with other members of the public, even maintaining the six foot separation, that would seem to include shooting once the clubs open up. From experience when doing some work around the club a few years back involving a fair amount of airborne dust, I found that doing any kind of more vigorous work resulted in the mask shifting and sliding around. Sometimes it would get up into the eyes, and don't even think about how it was on a hot, humid day and wearing glasses (safety or other) with fogging issues.

So my question, has anyone here been shooting any of the firearm sports, and that includes trap, especially doubles, skeet or Sporting clays, rifle or handgun while wearing a mask? If so, how did the mask stay in place and what issues did you have with gun mount, fogging visions and/or mask shifting its position? Any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
fishing would work well.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,894 Posts
What so many people fail to understand is that a mask only mitigates exposure to any intended environmental contaminant.
The cheaper the mask, the less it will filter, not to mention that improper fit and facial hair may render it totally useless.
As in most cases, something's better than nothing but unless it's the proper mask and used in accordance to it's specifications, it's more/less just a feel better apparatus that people use because they feel the need to do something.

Sorta like hoarding toilet paper.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If and when I return to shooting and required to wear mask. Here it is my #7.5 mask for ATA. My wife is making me a #6 mask for non-ATA.
Masks have been commercially cleaned and a 200 count cotton liner inside.
Wife has made 100 more traditional masks and shipped across the US including NY city...all free.

DSCN3890.JPG

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What so many people fail to understand is that a mask only mitigates exposure to any intended environmental contaminant.
The cheaper the mask, the less it will filter, not to mention that improper fit and facial hair may render it totally useless.
As in most cases, something's better than nothing but unless it's the proper mask and used in accordance to it's specifications, it's more/less just a feel better apparatus that people use because they feel the need to do something.

Sorta like hoarding toilet paper.
Anyone with a basic understanding of biology recognizes that a virus “particle” is several orders of magnitude smaller than a dust particle and thus able to slip right thru the mask. That is why you keep hearing about the N95 mask as it is pretty much the only one that, given good and continuous fit could be expected to stop a virus.
The reason I ask about the mask is because of the legal repercussions if some over zealous person takes “offense “ because you are not wearing the, pretty much useless, mask and tries to make an issue, legal or otherwise, of it. Remember that a lot of those pushing the panic button have also shown themselves to be vehemently opposed to guns and gun owners.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Did you read''commercially cleaned''. Opening, pouring shot and dust from operating reloader is far more hazardous. Christ I must have smashed a few hundred split shots in my mouth over the last 60 years.
Oh I read it...and ya I understand it. It was sarcasm. This whole fake flu is just feeding into peoples fears. Hell I might get hit by a lighting bolt in a minute...that that's the risk of being alive. I am just discussed that the people in this country just laid down and let all their Liberty's evaporate.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree! Seems there are so many of the ''sky is falling syndrome''. I even have a death in the family (cousin) and still hate this stay at home.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. If you're outdoors and 6 -9 feet away from another shooter, do you have to have a mask on as long as you don't break the 6 - 9 foot cocoon around you and/or the nearest person? I can understand inside a building (clubhouse) a mask would be a requirement, but outdoors while shooting? I'm pretty cautious with 3 strikes: 80 years old, 7 heart bypasses, & type II diabetic. IF I get courageous enough to try to shoot again, will have a mask on my face or handy in my pocket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. If you're outdoors and 6 -9 feet away from another shooter, do you have to have a mask on as long as you don't break the 6 - 9 foot cocoon around you and/or the nearest person? I can understand inside a building (clubhouse) a mask would be a requirement, but outdoors while shooting? I'm pretty cautious with 3 strikes: 80 years old, 7 heart bypasses, & type II diabetic. IF I get courageous enough to try to shoot again, will have a mask on my face or handy in my pocket.
My thought was to wear it to the line, take it off, shoot and put it back on after the round.

·
Administrator
8,584 Posts
Another thought being that there is so much discussion about sterilizing-social distancing-what people are touching etc. would be that even though you are wearing a mask(depending on quality how much it filters) is that your face is in constant contact with the comb/stock of your shotgun so after breathing on it are shooters going to put it in the rack next to other shooters shotguns and run the risk of having the virus(a virus) coming into contact that way?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
So my question, has anyone here been shooting any of the firearm sports, and that includes trap, especially doubles, skeet or Sporting clays, rifle or handgun while wearing a mask? If so, how did the mask stay in place and what issues did you have with gun mount, fogging visions and/or mask shifting its position?
A pistol shooting friend of a friend in Toronto called Byron once tried to rob a bank back in the 1970s. He was a most inoffensive and likable person so trying to rob a bank was completely out of character. I think he was having some relational difficulties at home at the time. To cut a long story short, his mask didn't provide sufficient protection. It wasn't long before he was arrested by the Metro Toronto Police, found guilty and sent to prison. It was a profound shock to everyone at the gun club and ever after he was known affectionately as "Byron the Bank Robber".

1 - 20 of 79 Posts