Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to shoot today. Ran some 28 Eurotrash hulls with Winchester primers after using the UPP from Creative Reloading Solutions. These are Nobel hulls, and the 209's could easily be pushed in by hand. After sizing, the primer could not be pushed in by hand, period. As you can see, there is no carbon ring on these hulls, nor is there one on the breechface of the K-80.

This tool does exactly what the inventor claims.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the update Coach. I’ve been wondering if this upgrade was worth it. I guess it’s time to order one.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I made a box last night with Rio hulls that I'll test today in my Citori O/U. Instead of testing how hard to push the WW primer in, I tested how much effort to punch out using a MEC case conditioner (w/o sizer). It was harder to push out than with the case not conditioned by the UPP. It seemed to work but the test will tell if there are primer leaks. The real test will be shooting a box worth in my 1100 to see if all the primers stay in.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
My test of WW primers in 28 ga Rio hulls after the UPP conditioned them turned out the same as Shooting Coach. There were no primer pocket leaks. I have now made up four boxes to shoot out of my 28 ga 1100 to see if the primer stays in even after the ejection cycle. Test on Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
Would this tool work for using the Remington 57 primer ? I know the 57 primer is smaller than the 209.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think that would be a bridge too far. With #209 primers running around .2435 and the #57 primer running around .2275 the difference is .016, a bit more than 1-2 thousands in fitting a WW primer into a Rio pocket. The soda straw trick to fit a #57 into a 209 primer pocket may be easier.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The test in my 28 ga 1100 turned out fine. No primers were displaced from their pockets, and no primer leakage was evident. The UPP does what it says, at least in so far as using a Winchester primer in a larger Rio 28 ga primer pocket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts