Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about some of us that don’t have an extra 10-20,000.00 laying about but would want to make a small donation to the trap gods. What would it be. Only discuss new guns/combos here.
My guns would be Beretta or Browning. Two strong ones for that money. Your thoughts, maybe something we haven’t heard about. .

·
Registered
245 Posts
guns unlimited out of Ohama, NE has a browning 725 unsingle combo set for about that money. I have never shot one, but i would have no reservations getting one of those combo sets. I feel browning is a good gun and for the money.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thinking about some of us that don’t have an extra 10-20,000.00 laying about but would want to make a small donation to the trap gods. What would it be. Only discuss new guns/combos here.
My guns would be Beretta or Browning. Two strong ones for that money. Your thoughts, maybe something we haven’t heard about. .
I recently purchased Beretta 686 Onyx combo for $4600. Beautiful wood, good trigger and shoots well. Nice assortment of chokes come with the gun as well. Only downside for me was lack of an adjustable trigger.
The Guns Unlimited Browning prices can’t be beat if Brownings fit better. The guys at GU are great to deal with.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Joel etchen sp3 trap combo or the guns unlimited browning combo is the only big names I think in that price range. Then there the skb combo and cz combo. I had a unisingle skb and upgraded to Joel etchen had a some trouble with gun at first but all is well now and I love the beretta. I don’t have the browning but I do like the idea of adjustable rib on both barrels but wasent Available when I purchased. Make sure u handle both guns the beretta stock is a bit thicker in feel but that might just be me.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
A browning over/under and a whole bunch of practice ammo.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
a gun doesn't earn the title as an (ideal) gun, until you've shot it a few years. pick something you like and work on making it your ideal gun.

ive been telling people this for decades and its like getting people to pull out their teeth. people insist on getting a fist full of bucks....walk in a store, look at price tags, hold it once or twice like people kick tires on a car, and slap down hard earned cash and walk out.....forcing themselves to MAKE the gun they chose the ideal gun.

try this. go in a gun shop, club, or a big match and don't look at price tags at all. don't even ask what brand it is. just start picking up guns until you find one that fits and feels like its part of your body. if you can, shoot it a few times. then ask what it costs and pay it.

then, work on learning it, fitting it, grooming it. winning with it, and over time...if someone asks you what the ideal gun is, you can tell them solely based on experiences, not price tags or ads.

theres no such thing as a ready made ideal dream gun out of the box. you buy a dream and turn it into reality little by little and throw all the other crap away.
good luck!

·
Registered
725 Posts
You need to try out many guns. Go to the Grand in Sparta, IL and shoot as many as you can. At your local shooting range ask folks if you mount and or shoot their gun. It is not the price but the fit. Your budget gives a wide range of new and more if willing to go used.
We are Browning Citori CX shooters because the fit is great for both lefty and right shooters. My wife went micro for LOP. Mount them and shoot them as each company has their features. Good luck and remember to have$$$ left for shells and targets. Enjoy your time looking at them all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I shot a Joel Etchen 686 SP3 with 32” tubes. It was a great shooting gun, and I did pretty well with it for singles and caps. I bought a used KX-6 Special. That gun was amazing. I paid 5300 for it, so it’s a little higher than the 5K cap, but it was worth every penny. That’s the gun I wish I had never sold, and will buy again if I get back to shooting competitively.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,176 Posts
Went with my son to Etchen’s. He wanted to buy a gun for sporting clays. I’m in the gun room looking around and my son hands me this gun. He said here try mounting this. I took it and mounted the gun, without even looking at the brand or model. WOW! It fit perfectly. Mounted it several times. Each time the gun came up beautifully. Well to make a long story short, I bought it. Tuned it up for me and it shoots great. I picked up a couple more birds consistently with it. A used Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III, Joel Etchen Special. 32” high rib X Trap barrels.
Guess I just hit it right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can’t you get one under a grand. A lot of us don’t have money running out of our ears.
That’s not entirely true, I have friends that can hang with a good squad shooting Rem 1100’s and 870’s. Shooting great scores is more about skill and practice and less about the gun. When I first started shooting an ole timer told me “ it’s the Indian, not the arrow”. Not to say that a quality gun isn’t important. Look for a nice used model, and don’t be scared of pumps and semis to get started.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Went with my son to Etchen’s. He wanted to buy a gun for sporting clays. I’m in the gun room looking around and my son hands me this gun. He said here try mounting this. I took it and mounted the gun, without even looking at the brand or model. WOW! It fit perfectly. Mounted it several times. Each time the gun came up beautifully. Well to make a long story short, I bought it. Tuned it up for me and it shoots great. I picked up a couple more birds consistently with it. A used Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III, Joel Etchen Special. 32” high rib X Trap barrels.
Guess I just hit it right.

Are those special x rap bbls rubbed down with Snake Oil?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m not sure about snake oil, but the EELL Wood sure does look nice. Not to mention there great guys to do business with. Matt can in to open the shop up when I picked up my KX-6S. I had about a 3 hour drive and they def went the extra mile to show me the gun and answer any questions.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts