Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
yup one anyway
31 Posts
Funny, I was astonished once when a guy came up to line with an old rusty pump gun that was obviously used as a duck getter that fell in the water many times. He really pissed me off when he smashed every clay with it.
I understand some cluba are starting 500 and under leagues fo po foke.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Okay. Satire is probably not the correct term as to what I wrote (I'm not that creative). Sarcasm is probably closer, but there is a grain of truth to some of what I posted. There has been a few whiny posts lately about what bothers people on the line that could/should be taken care of at your club by the shooters/members there. Believe me when I say, I understand some of the frustrations regarding slow squads, malfunctioning weapons, bad reloads, safety, etc...etc.

I worked at and eventually ran a shooting range that included pistol, rifle, trap and skeet so I have seen it all. You can take the range away from the Rangemaster, but you can't take the Rangemaster awat from the range. I've never been shy on pointing out when I've seen either a serious etiquette breech or any safety infraction. How are people expected to learn when nobody points out these issues? I don't shoot as much as I used to especially in the current climate. I do plan on traveling to my home range this weekend for an extended two day session that includes a visit with two of my daughters. It has been quite awhile since I have been out due to some health issues and the Covid. I'm entered in a 204 Ruger rifle competition in September, and want to shoot another rifle and some skeet and trap so wish me luck.

To those that thought I was 100% serious...

View attachment 1759396

Good luck and all the best.
204 match sounds like fun. If you don't mind could you post the particulars?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
It is part of the Ruger 204 forum. Cut off was July 1st though. If you have a 204, it is a good place to be.

Good luck and all the best.

Thank you! A little late this year but now I know to look for it next year. Have 2 .204's. One likes 39 grain sierras and the other loves berger 35 grain and benchmark. Fun guns to shoot!

·
Registered
1972 BT 99 Winchester SuperX model 1
105 Posts
was shooting a Winchester 1200 pump (I mean...it cost less than $500)...we should only let $5K guns and above on the line...

And if that wasn't bad enough, he had the gall to shoulder it and shoot one second after I shot on his left which caused us to shoot quicker than we were used to. He wasn't shooting a P, K, or L gun so we all know he couldn't be any good. But the thing that really pissed me off was that he shot a 50X50. I mean the nerve. Also...the sound of the pumping really bothered me. He pumped his empty hulls into his hand and placed them into his bag instead of just letting them hit the ground like most of us superior shooters. I really hate guys like that who disrupt our squad by shooting inferior guns. The 2nd amendment really doesn't apply to trap guns, so I really don't care if the Government goes after those scary black looking "automatic" rifles and pistols. It doesn't bother me.

Edited: This is how many NON trap shooters see y'all.
I could probably outshoot you with my BT 99 or Model 1 Super X or Verona O/U, worth well less than 5 Gs put together..... and get huge respect doing it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't believe I sat here and read through this thread...afraid there might be a serious case of C.R.I. disease spreading at some clubs based on the arrogant attitudes expressed here. I identified the C.R.I. disease (Cranial Rectal Insertion) while briefing senior military officers about 25 years ago, often times it was terminal. I volunteer as a range safety officer at a major Army base so young soldiers can do some recreational shooting, trap, skeet and 5 stand. Some retired members have K guns worth much more than 5K but we welcome people with any safe shotgun and often it is a family gun that was passed down to them. Heavy sigh.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't believe I sat here and read through this thread...afraid there might be a serious case of C.R.I. disease spreading at some clubs based on the arrogant attitudes expressed here. I identified the C.R.I. disease (Cranial Rectal Insertion) while briefing senior military officers about 25 years ago, often times it was terminal. I volunteer as a range safety officer at a major Army base so young soldiers can do some recreational shooting, trap, skeet and 5 stand. Some retired members have K guns worth much more than 5K but we welcome people with any safe shotgun and often it is a family gun that was passed down to them. Heavy sigh.....:rolleyes:
I want to squad with you and the guy on his right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
was shooting a Winchester 1200 pump (I mean...it cost less than $500)...we should only let $5K guns and above on the line...

And if that wasn't bad enough, he had the gall to shoulder it and shoot one second after I shot on his left which caused us to shoot quicker than we were used to. He wasn't shooting a P, K, or L gun so we all know he couldn't be any good. But the thing that really pissed me off was that he shot a 50X50. I mean the nerve. Also...the sound of the pumping really bothered me. He pumped his empty hulls into his hand and placed them into his bag instead of just letting them hit the ground like most of us superior shooters. I really hate guys like that who disrupt our squad by shooting inferior guns. The 2nd amendment really doesn't apply to trap guns, so I really don't care if the Government goes after those scary black looking "automatic" rifles and pistols. It doesn't bother me.

Edited: This is how many NON trap shooters see y'all.
JWSmith - very funny satire. I get the tongue in cheek comments to help everyone who thinks like this to get a life and a little humility. You sure stirred up some emotions of those that missed this was a satire.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
I did some reading on this and - what distance are you shooting? Only one target this year?
You get one target to turn in. It's 100 yds. - 5 shots and on an honor system. I've made some copies of the target to practice with. The target provided is on a unique paper stock, so cheating would be difficult. I shot a 10 shot group with my rifle that was a bit under 0.60 inches. I've worked on the trigger since then and hope I can tighten that up a bit. I have several handloads to try out this weekend and hope I have something that will work. 32 gr., 39 gr., and 40 gr. bullets with a few different powders and primers. We will see. In my experience, the 204 has a bit of a sweet spot when it comes to cleanliness. It can get a little copper fouling after 100 rounds or so and takes a few rounds to get back to where you want it.

Flooring Font Wood Circle Pattern

·
Registered
68 Posts
Funny, I was astonished once when a guy came up to line with an old rusty pump gun that was obviously used as a duck getter that fell in the water many times. He really pissed me off when he smashed every clay with it.
last week one the the regular guys I shoot with brought his girlfriend's brother to the range along with his...Rem 870 pump. For my personal amusement I asked him if i can shoot it, he said sure.
To my surprise I had 25 straight with it)))

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have one shooter that typically does not shoot any registered targets but beats most all of us with his Remington 1100 over and over unfortunately! Nice guy though and great back up shooter hunting as well and nice enough to wait for us to miss first! It's not that he does not have the funds for a nice O/U, he just has never felt the need apparently. Daro Handy comes to mind as another great shooter that shoots well with a semi-auto, might also have started out with a pump and put his shells away too!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts