Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people have this title confused. The Greatest Boxer of All Time didn't die recently...he died 47 years ago. He didn't have 5 losses, he had 0. He didn't have 37 Knock Outs he had 43 (88%). He didn't dodge the draft. He was All-Italian and a Catholic. He wasn't a race baiter and sure didn't convert to islam. He was a local kid named Rocky Marciano aka The Brockton Blockbuster (49-0).Don't let mainstream media idolize false prophets. When he was asked on tv if he could've knocked out Ali in his prime his response was oh so classical!! "I’d be conceited if I said I could've, but I'd be a liar if I said I couldn't"!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Two best heavyweights (in their prime)

Ali
Tyson

One had his career interupted due to a wartime protest and the other for being a dumbass but both were in their prime when it happened

·
Registered
480 Posts
Marciano was certainly the MOST GRACIOUS Heavyweight Champ in recent memory...My five favorite Boxers of all time include two Heavyweights--Marciano and Ali--But also has several smaller guys--Marvin Hagler, Carlos Monzon and Roberto Duran--FWIW...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Just like in all other sports, it's all but impossible to compare boxers from different eras. Records are pretty much meaningless, as they didn't face the same competition and fights have been "thrown" throughout the history of the sport due to the influence of gamblers.

Marciano may or may not have been the best heavyweight ever. Same with Ali, Joe Louis, Tyson, et al. When you throw in the other seven traditional weight classes and try to pick the best ever at any weight, that's a whole new can of worms.

Ali at least had this much going for him – he fought during the greatest era the heavyweight division has ever seen. No other compares to that mid-'60s through mid-'70s period. The top ranks of the division were a total Murderer's Row for a decade.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think Tyson. But I was in my teens and 20's when he was the man. I thought he was awesome.
Mike B

·
Premium Member
18,216 Posts
Hagler was great.

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Tyson. But I was in my teens and 20's when he was the man. I thought he was awesome.
Mike B
If Tyson couldn't beat you he would eat you!

Reactions: mikey357

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Hammering Henry Armstrong held 3 weight divisions concurrently when there was only seven. Dempsey had over 300 barroom fights before he ever turned Pro. Tunney was 66/1, Marciano knocked out four world champions getting his 49/0 record. And once hit a fighter in the chin breaking his ankle. Archi Moore fought for three decades (over 200+ fights) including both Clay and Marciano. He said no one punched like Rocky, and with both hands. Jefferies was an undefeated Heavyweight Champion. Only loosing one fight to Jack Johnson in a comeback attempt. Lots of great champs.....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
A number of years ago, there was a "fantasy" match broadcast on the radio between Ali and Marciano. At the end of the fight, a "decision" was given to Marciano. Part of the controversy was that Ali dropped his arms late in the fight, and Marciano scored a lot of points because of it. Allegedly Marciano kept hitting Ali in the arms causing him to drop his hands.

I've seen Ali fight a number of times, but he never got arm-tired from being hit in the arms. He was just too quick, and never stayed inside with an opponent.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
If Tyson couldn't beat you he would eat you!
All it took, and all it would ever take, to beat Tyson was a tall strong hvwt with a great jab who wasn't afraid of him. Buster Douglas made him look like a little girl.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
A number of years ago, there was a "fantasy" match broadcast on the radio between Ali and Marciano. At the end of the fight, a "decision" was given to Marciano. Part of the controversy was that Ali dropped his arms late in the fight, and Marciano scored a lot of points because of it. Allegedly Marciano kept hitting Ali in the arms causing him to drop his hands.

I've seen Ali fight a number of times, but he never got arm-tired from being hit in the arms. He was just too quick, and never stayed inside with an opponent.
Ezzard Charles was the Ali of his era, and heavyweight champion. Tall, lean, and fast. Marciano beat him twice, knocking him out once, and going the distance once. Marciano never, ever took a step back, never, ever stopped punching, and had a cast iron jaw. He was "Smokin Joe" and Duran rolled into one. One tuff 5'10" 190 lb. guy. He didn't fight inside.....He attacked to the chest and arms until the other fighter was exhausted ready for a shot to the head. ERGO: The famous picture of Marciano's right connecting with Jersey Joe Walcott's caved in face going down for the count. Maybe, one of the greatest boxing pictures ever taken.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts