Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I worked the Grand in two capacities from July 31 through August 15th. If you were on the inside as I was, you would have been impressed as I know most, if not all employees were. Lynn Gipson is, by far, the best ED in the recent, if not entire history of the ATA and I have 45 years experience with the likes of David Bopp...etc. Not only were most all employees happy, dedicated, and working in unison, but shooters seemed to be without complaint except for very few exceptions. Lynn stays in constant contact with both management and the line personnel supporting their efforts, giving guidance when no one knows the answer. Listening in on most communications via radio to add support and solve problems...on the spot. People like Jim Moody, Petey Chambless, David Goetting, Penny...you would think they were close family members devoted to YOUR success, not theirs, in the field. Say what you want about the ATA, but when Lynn stated at the Opening Ceremonies..."Planning for the Grand begins in October", from an insiders point of view....it shows.

A word about Petey's trap mechanic group. In all my years of competive shooting around the US, I have never seen immediate response as I did at the 2015 Grand. Your mileage may vary, but when my banks had a break down, it seemed the trap mechanics knew it in advance and were there on the spot...unbelievable!

Congrats to Lynn, his staff, Rob Taylor, the Ex. Committee for a job way past well done!

Milt Palasota
Camdenton, MO

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Well said Milt. My thoughts exactly . It was great talking to you again . See you at the Fall Hdcp .

Reactions: mette56

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Great to see you at the Grand again this year Milt. You did an awesome job on the East banks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yes it was a very well ran shoot. I and the folks I shot & talked with all had a great time. Thanks to all those that made it happen. Hope to do it again next year.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It runs like a swiss watch,all good.

Reactions: mette56

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Agreed. When we needed height adjustments they were there in one or two minutes, and our "setter" on bank 1 always had a smile on his face.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
A few bugs but all in all a GREAT SHOOT and a GREAT TIME! Lots of folks worked really hard to give us a great time and I thank them for their efforts!

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Had a great time thought the targets were set extremely well.
The scorers and loaders were top notch.

During more then 1 sub-event the wind would change from a head wind to a tailwind and the wind speed would vary.
The targets moved up or down but were still shoot-able. I spent my time in section 3.

The folks working in the event center were all top notch as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stopped in on the last Thursday of the Grand. First time in Sparta for me. Since I grew up in Ohio and went back home in August to visit family each year and went to Vandalia during these visits, this was a first opportunity to go west to see what Sparta was about.

Impressive! Did not shoot any events but Rob at SKB gave me a Century III, box of shell and a practice ticket to test the new single barrel. Ran the first 17 targets. Great gun and smoked the targets.

Liked the lay out of the facility and the vendor area. Fla. and NC picture time was 5:30 and 6, so I was able to catch up with a few of the old friends from Fla. and got in the picture for NC.

The one thing that is lacking is hotels close by, but I guess you can't have everything all at once. Will go back, if the timing and money are right sometime in the future.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thank you to every single person that made this Grand run as smooth as possible, including the volunteers and paid personnel. From the moment we walked in the doors to classify, squad, and cashier, to the line to shoot, every aspect was as professional as possible. More than once I have to say I was impressed by the trap kids who literally ran from trap to trap while doing their job. Ten straight days of shooting is difficult for everyone, but the way all these people handled it made it easy to overlook the tremendous amount of work and dedication they put in to make it so enjoyable for the rest of us. A sincere "thank you" to all for the great jobs you did to make this happen.

Jay and Janessa Beaman

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Thanks for that feedback Milt. I had the pleasure of shooting at KCTA Smithville on many occasions while Lynn was manager there. Always a well run shoot. Glad to hear that has carried over to the Grand.

Tim

Reactions: KS-OKIE and mette56
1 - 14 of 14 Posts