Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually by this time of year i am firming up my plans for the Grand . Room reservations, loading up some 20 Ga. for the 20 Ga. event, making my list of components to buy there , getting my travel plans together to visit relatives on the way,etc. but, this year with Covid stage II it all seems like a crap shoot again. So much is up in the air. Will the ILL. Governor let us in to have it there this year or, will we have to go back to MO. ? Will the Grand program be the usual one? Will there even be a Nostalgia shoot or it that a thing of the past? Will targets requirements be modified again this year ? Will there be any components for sale and if so, will they be sold out before the main Grand week even starts ?? How about Shell availability? With even the State shoots having problems getting enough ammo for their shoots ,supplying shell quantities in 7 figures seems like a daunting task! I know it is still three and half months until The grand starts but ,there are still a lot of questions . I keep hearing people say they are "Confident" but , I am still aware that Murphy's Law is still out there Lurking ! I wish we could count on things getting back to normal but, with things so crazy , I think maybe the only "normal" we may see for awhile is a setting on a clothes dryer ! 馃槓

What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
I think maybe the only "normal" we may see for awhile is a.......
There is no "normal" anymore. Nothing will be the same - I know things change but not this fast and the fact that so many seem willing to keep shoveling out the dough will ensure that we'll keep it this way. It's not just being able to afford it or not, a lot of people won't be able to justify the cost anymore, some things just aren't worth it. I like to think I'm pretty die-hard but at the same time, the ball's already rolling for the next venture once I say "screw this, I ain't paying that much to shoot trap!"

Registered
As I live in Illinois, about 30 minutes from the WSRC, I will say I too am skeptical. Even if he says yes our Governor is anti-gun & not to be trusted. He could pull the carpet out from under us at any given time. The State owns that place.
I really hate to say this but just wonder if the ATA wouldn't be better off to go with Missouri again this year. At least they seemed to want the shooters.
The WSRC is for sure the best choice but I don't trust politicians-----Ever!
Either way I bet ammo and components will be in short supply.
JMO Colonel

Premium Member
Perazzi MX 2000 combo, tiger stripe,
They need to do away with Sparta and alternate between Linn Creek and the Carinal Center.
Why??? Linn creek is nice with all the local activities but not enough camp spots for us regular people. Plus it only has two non port a john鈥檚.
The Cardinal Center is a small Sparta, but can it handle all of the Ohio and Pennsylvania shooters ?
Sparta is the best facility

Registered
Why??? Linn creek is nice with all the local activities but not enough camp spots for us regular people. Plus it only has two non port a john鈥檚.
The Cardinal Center is a small Sparta, but can it handle all of the Ohio and Pennsylvania shooters ?
Sparta is the best facility
To answer your question of why: Because Illinois is un reliable these days. I understand that Sparta is the best facility for the job, but it just happens to be in Illinois. I'd say between Linn Creek and the Carinal, Linn Creek would be the best. A little larger than the Cardinal and has tons of amenities near by.

Registered
I expect with the lingering Covid still out there, and the shell shortage. That the numbers at the Grand will be down again this year. I can't see Gamaliel supplying all the shells this year that is needed for the shoot. So this has to be taken into consideration!!! While air traffic is up from last year. Its still a long way from being normal again. So It will be another interesting year to see how things pan out. If the number of shooters increase much?, and Sparta will not open? Then it might be easier if both the Cardinal Center, and Linn Creek both hosted the Grand??? This would allow many more shooters to drive to the shoot, to use there own loads without having to fly in.
It will be interested to see how this unfolds though. Mmm break em all jeff

Premium Member
Ye of little faith! The way Uncle Joe has promised to deliver vaccines, the entire country will be vaccinated before July! All will be good and the Grand will be allowed in Sparta!

Banned
Can someone who actually lives in Illinois tell us what the outdoor gathering restrictions are, if any, at this point?
Well, from my seat here in NY, I'm saying each person at an outdoor "festival" in Illinois gets a circular space 9 feet in diameter. Basically, the "3 feet apart" rule applies... or hand-shaking distance.

Premium Member
Can someone who actually lives in Illinois tell us what the outdoor gathering restrictions are, if any, at this point?
As has been the case through this whole thing, it's hard to decipher. We have more phases and levels and mitigation plans than you can keep track of. Here's what I can decipher from the IDPH site.
The whole state is is "Phase 4" the most unrestricted level before going back to "no restrictions". In phase 4, outdoor recreation is unrestricted as to participant limits, etc. Trapshooting is specifically listed as a "low risk activity" and as such is allowed. Still "require" face masks, social distancing, handwashing, etc., but in practice where I've been, masks are few and far between. I'm guessing that larger shoots may be more adamant about masks inside buildings, etc. As usual, the closer you get to larger population centers and more liberal mindsets, the more the rules are "enforced". Was in Champaign over the weekend. Looked as if the Mrs. and I were the only ones in town not wearing a mask every waking moment. We were handed one in Cracker Barrel, I carried it to the table. Nasty looks but nothing said. Smaller, more rural towns are very nearly back to pre covid actions for the most part. The 2021 program for the state shoot is out. To be held at Brittany Shooting Park as always the middle of June. Masks, social distancing, etc. mentioned as required in the program. I believe the Grand will happen in Sparta, but any increase of covid levels or "new strains" will be used to constrain or cancel it. The ATA needs to keep "Plan B" close at hand. Just my take on the subject. I have no "inside info" from any source.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.