Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scientific American: “Denial” Helps Us Cope with Our Collective Climate Grief

Scientific American thinks we are all so worried about climate change, our minds have snapped – that we’ve all turned to “climate denial” as a coping mechanism.

[James] Hansen believes people are moving in the direction of accepting that climate is changing and that humans are at least a factor if not the dominant factor.

“That’s not where most people are with climate,” Dr. Van Susteren states. “It takes a long time for some people to lay down the sense within that something is true.”

[James] Hansen believes people are moving in the direction of accepting that climate is changing and that humans are at least a factor if not the dominant factor.

But there is also the matter of our wiring.

“Denial is something that allows us sometimes to get through the day,” says Dr. Van Susteren. “And in some cases that’s really good, that’s adaptive, but in other cases it’s going to kill you . . . and this one’s going to kill you.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I’m feeling any grief, it is grief that an allegedly scientific magazine which I once respected could publish such mush. Few credible skeptics ever claimed humans have absolutely no influence on climate, but there is a huge gulf between predicting a mild, almost undetectable climatic nudge, and predicting an immininent planetary emergency.

If there is any “climate denial” occurring, it is a refusal by some parties to face the fact that climate models which predict global catastrophe have failed. There is no surge in sea levels, there is no accelerated rise in temperature, other than the gentle warming which started well before anthropogenic CO2 became a factor, and there is no increase in storm activity.

Claims that previously unanticipated “inertia” is preventing the manifestation of all these apocalyptic events, in my opinion is a frantic last ditch effort to defend broken theories from falsification.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
The climate has been changing ever since the "Big Bang". Just look at the geological evidence - every rock and cliff formation and differing strata and colors tell the story of this ongoing change both before and after the presence of man. Just hang on and enjoy the ride on this ol' planet. Oh, don't forget....we all live upstream from somebody. Regards....

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
Wore a long sleeve shirt to the Gun Club this morning. Had the electric blanket on last night, and it is warming up as I post this.

Down to the low 60's tonight. Global warming my @$$.

Some pathetic little parasites parroting what they are told to say so they can live off Govt' grants.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
You've forgotten. It's no longer labeled global warming. It's now climate change. That way no matter whether it gets warmer or colder - the "scientists" can still make their claim that man(kind) is the animal that is responsible for the various atmospheric changes that are occurring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts