Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Nice pic's, our hunting here in the SW part of the state was OK, not as good as last year, froze up alittle early this year.

I also had a new pup this year, yellow lab, she tested my patience pretty good, told my kids I was soo used to the old dog I was spoiled.....the old one is still living, she will 15 in April, it was very hard to leave her home last fall....:(

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Tim, how 'bout I meet up with you in Missouri for your spring hunt?? :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just got done taking pictures of Canadas and Mallards by the tens of thousands landing in picked corn by my house. Thanks to our wonderful DNR the season is closed. We'll fatten them up so they can go south and get shot. The DNR gives a generous 60 day season. Too bad it is before the orange legs get here. Someone told me next year we are going to have a rhinocerous season. Probably miss their migration also.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
In my area of Idaho (Bannock County, Bingham County, and the east half of Power county) the season opened October 5 and closes this Friday, January 17. In the rest of the State it opened October 12 and closes January 24. Typically the hunting does not get good until we get an extended period of cold weather, usually in December. I was thinking of going out this afternoon, but it is bright sunny, calm, and above 40 so it would probably be a waste of time.

I shot one duck total in about ten trips before mid December. I've shot about twenty in six trips since. If I had my way, duck season around here would not even start until December and would extend through mid March.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yesterday was the last day in my area. I went in the morning with my former boss (I'm retired). I took my male Chesapeake Rocky, and he had his chocolate Lab Benny. Rocky is not quite four, Benny is six. We were pass shooting on the Portneuf River. It's deep and cold with a heavy current, with very heavy brush along the banks. The morning started out foggy, and the ducks started coming by just before shooting time. When shooting time came I dropped a hen mallard in the current and Rocky got it, with Benny chasing. While Rocky was coming back Art dropped a Widgeon drake in the river and Benny got it. A little later Art dropped another widgeon in the river. Rocky got it while Benny searched on the other shore. Things slowed down so Rocky and I went down around a bend where we had seen some ducks landing. They flushed wild, but walking back we saw Art drop another two. It turned out that they had fallen in the brush and Benny could not find them. I sent Rocky into the general area and he came up with one. By about 10:30 Art filled his limit so we decided to leave because he had an afternoon meeting he needed to attend.

Later in the day the fog cleared and it became a bluebird day. I decided to take my female Lexie out in the afternoon. She just turned 19 months old, but hasn't had much hunting this fall because of her run-in with a car I described in an earlier thread. She still has a spot about the size of a nickle on her foot where the skin has not grown back. Anyway, we went back to the same area where I had been in the morning. The ducks weren't flying much, but we managed to shoot three, a widgeon, a gadwall, and a diver. One fell in the water - she saw it and made a nice retrieve. The other two fell in the brush and she did not see them, but I sent her into the general area and she came up with them shortly. With all of them she returned them to hand.

All in all, except for the car incident, it was a good season. Pretty soon we'll start training for field trials and hunt tests again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts