Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg
I recently purchased a new K20 sporting. I'd shot it a few weeks with nothing out of the ordinary going on. The next time I was at the range I opened the gun to load it and noticed rust on the left side of the barrel back at the chamber end - see photo.

I was more than disturbed/p'od, upset, etc. I'm pretty religious when it come to cleaning and oiling my guns. I never shoot without gloves on just because I don't like touching the metal with my bare hands. I always wipe any gun I've shot with a Rig impregnated sheepskin rag. I lube the contact points with either the Krieghoff furnished grease or something similar. I've seen the blued areas on a gun rust but had never experienced rusting where this occurred. Could this actually be a warranty issue ?

I've brushed the area with a copper brush and then wiped it with an oiled rag which removed the light surface rust. Obviously, the discoloration is still present. Is rusting still likely to occur in the area ? Is there something I could/should use to restore this area ? Lastly, could this be a manufacturer's issue that might warrant discussion with Krieghoff ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
That area is raw steel, unprotected it will rust, and much easier than any other part of the gun.

If you use some 1000 grit sandpaper backed with a hard wood or rubber block that will come right off.

No way this is a warranty issue!

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
When I started shooting "Lulabelle" (Browning), in '95 it seemed like I almost needed to wipe her down between trap houses. Especially the:oops:chambers.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Skeet Man has it. An absolutely square wood block with very fine sandpaper or emery cloth, rubbed until the rust disappears, will not compromise the dimension of your breech block. Once the breech block is shiny and new, keep it wet with oil at all times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts