Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have waded through over 250 pages of THE book.

At last we have the answer - 7 1/2's or 8's.

Interesting conclusion after extensive testing and analysis.

I am so thankful I will not have to cut apart the 8000 shells loaded since Thanksgiving.

Don Verna

PS: Some of the book was difficult to digest. Most of it is understandable. Some sections will be a challenge for anyone without a technical background. Jones is to be commended for his effort. There is a lot you will learn.

PPS: The answer is on page 248 for those who have made the investment.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Psssst hey Don, how about let'n me in on the secret? I won't tell anybody i promise.

Matt

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matt

It is very profound.

Dr. Jones has labored many hours to reach a conclusion to this question.

My hint narrows the search of his work; but it would not be "cricket" to "spill the beans". Also, there are some parts of the study I have not fully understood. As a result, I am concerned there may be a shot/velocity/choke combination that provides a 95% confidence interval that Andrew can hit my rather substantial "effective frontal target area" from across The Great Pond. I will not mess with the Trap Gods.

Don Verna

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
I'm more confused now than ever before. To be honest, i don't have a clue what you guys are talking about. LOL As you were gentlemen.

Matt

·
Registered
399 Posts
Don, It didn't give an answer, it gave an indication!

As I said earlier, if you pm me about a bit you don't understand I'll try and elaborate on it - maybe after Christmas though because my mind will not be as clear as it could be over the next few days.

Happy hic

Andrew.

·
Premium Member
13,521 Posts
I agree 42,

But is it 42 divided by 8 or by seven and a half??

·
Registered
997 Posts
The answer is --- any shell and shotgun combination that will consistently shoot a pattern that provides a 80% pattern at 40 yards (shooting 8's or 7.5's) fired at legal trap velocities will break a 16-yard target 100% of the time when properly pointed --- the same is normally true for 27-yard targets.

Was I close?

·
Registered
170 Posts
First, the book is very well done. I bought one to read and one to give as a gift, to help AC fund that Perazzi he's foregone in choosing to do this research (he'll need a few more books). Don I don't follow Figure 179 in making a conclusion solely based on 42 yards. It would seem more insightful to do 7 1/2 vs. 8 over distance looking at the confounded effects of pellet density and pellet energy compared to target break energy required. I would expect 8s advantage in pellet count and more than sufficient energy up close to win out but that advantage to diminish as distance to target increases where we would see a crossing point in yardage where 7 1/2s become more effective as pellet energy approaches clay break energy threshold. The second variable I believe effects my choice is temperature. To me 8s work better in the summer but in MI at 25 degrees (Don Verna only sips coffee at these temps ;-))the targets seem to take more energy to break. So if the energy to break a target increases with colder temperatures the crossing point in yards for effectiveness of 7 1/2 vs. 8 should reduce. I was already a believer in tight chokes, this work shows that clearly the choice. Dr Jones on second thought use the book money for more research!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.