Trapshooters Forum banner

That time of the year Servicing all my Pat Trap machines

1832 37
Who at your club does this chore? I am it at my club. Repairing wires replacing parts changing bands.
Most of the day was changing bands. Pretty simple but not everyone will even try. The nasty ones are old. The
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread
Wood Automotive tire Gas Auto part Font
Wood Audio equipment Font Cable Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Asphalt Bumper Gas Road surface
Automotive exterior Wood Bumper Gas Motor vehicle
black are the shorter new ones. Only did nine machines. My 3 spares are ready to go.
Steve
Reactions: grizquad
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't forget the brushes. Excessive wear makes 'em throw wonky targets.
All new brushes. That was too easy. Lube jobs done. Rubber is good on all through arms. Made sure sure all targets were landing in the correct zone. Lot of other stuff with my air compressor wand and shop vac.
Not completely done yet but it was a good start.
Steve

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Did you change the "O " rings on the rollers and check the rollers themselves.The old style were bronze bushings and the new ones are roller bearings.The roller bearings freeze up with the target dust and then you get flat spots on the roller "O"
Rings.
When you replace the rubber band did you notice one arm faces up and the other one is down.Did you loosen the one way clutch to keep everything in line.
I hope you have some one helping you.Two people make the job easier.

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you change the "O " rings on the rollers and check the rollers themselves.The old style were bronze bushings and the new ones are roller bearings.The roller bearings freeze up with the target dust and then you get flat spots on the roller "O"
Rings.
When you replace the rubber band did you notice one arm faces up and the other one is down.Did you loosen the one way clutch to keep everything in line.
I hope you have some one helping you.Two people make the job easier.
Did all that .
I pay out of my pocket for all part . I have built up a stock pile of parts I bought from other clubs. Since I got on the board this year things have improved. The board are all sporting Clay. They are currently making money from fund raiser shoot for other organizations.
Skeet and Trap have been battling with them for several Years.
They can't even get along with each other.
3 board members quit and the President will leave in January or February. The current president has been good to work with.
I desperately need Skeet and Trap shooters joining me on the Board election in June.
Problem is with the Investment I have in trap I had to step in.
I have been fighting the battle for 5 years now.
Very proud of what I have accomplished.
Steve

·
Registered
491 Posts
I remove the delrin elevator guides and clean them out. The slot gets target dust built up and drags on the elevator. I sandpaper (220 grit) them once a year and the elevator doesn't chatter on the way to placing the target on the deck.
A big vacuum cleaner and brush makes clean up easier and removing the turret makes everything easier. A taste of grease and a new arm brake rubber if needed keeps them throwing good targets.
I made a dresser to true up the throwing arm with 36 grit belt sander belting. I do that about three times a year. The arm will "scup" about three inches in from the end and I think hurts the doubles presentation. I try to stay ahead of it.

If the traps aren't going to be used, I back the jam nut off completely so there is no tension on the bands. I don't know if it helps with life of the band but my thought is it can't hurt. Bands degrade because of ozone and heat. I don't know if a protective coating would help. Tire dressing? Armor All?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Steve, your first post said changing the bands was pretty simple. Did you follow the directions in the PAT trap manual or just wing it? Asking because I have to get this done this year too.
You can't go wrong following the manual. If you get in a jam you can call Pat Trap, they will help you in any way they can.

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Steve, your first post said changing the bands was pretty simple. Did you follow the directions in the PAT trap manual or just wing it? Asking because I have to get this done this year too.
The manual is spot on. Very simply. I have received help here but don't be afraid to ask.Pat Trap co will talk you through it. You can do it.
Steve
Product Sleeve Font Advertising Paper

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Working on one of my machines that was taken out of trap house and dumped in the weeds. You can see when it was tossed th handle bent. I repaired that Sanding in rust to do those are the brushes that went on two other machines
Mainly takes a little time after you figure it out.
My last pile of bands. Talking to one of those guys that sell the springs I will try those next year.
Steve
Bumper Wood Asphalt Road surface Gas
Automotive tire Fender Gas Machine tool Composite material
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Steve The machine will go into the trap house a lot easier if you remove the turret.
It is a good idea to have another person with you as a safety factor. One never knows what can go wrong. We had a trap person get his jacket cought by the throwing arm on the left side of the machine.
I was wondering what too so long to long to load the machine.I had to release the clutch to get the jacket free.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts