Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AK made into a pistol with a 3-1/4" barrel.<br>
<br>
I've shot Krinkovs, and they're bad enough for blast and flash, but this really takes the cake.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Shooting Coach

That "thing" in the picture is most likely what will make the next muzzleflash. It's on a stand waiting to be loaded and fired.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pat,
Black powder went out of use in the big guns in the mid 1930's and Cordite came in. Much easier to swab out the barrel's and burned cleaner. When I was in, in the 1960's we were still using C for 5 inch and larger. Don't know if it is still in use now. The cordite grainuals were about the size of a lead pencil and had a hole through the center with 5 smaller holes going through the length around the larger hole. It burned really slow (like fuse) in the open air, but under chamber pressure it was much faster of course. Had a real ascidic smell in the turret when firing the stuff and made your eyes water.

·
Registered
839 Posts
In 1952 we fired Recoiless Rifles, 75 & 105, you should see the blast from those at night. blast from the front and REAR, that's how they made them recoiless. Nobody , repeat nobody stood any where near the rear or else.

bill

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wonder witch battlewagon is in the photo? no numbers visible,(just a thought, but when you call "pull" on that ship you`ll get someones attention). I`ve also heard that with the new sighting systems (drones etc). they could hit a schoolbus sized target at 50 miles. impressive to say the least. any swabbys out there who sailed, served on these great ships in the 80s& 90s that could verify this? thanks ML

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Because I couldn't get that much "muzzle flash" in one post.

Talk about raining hell down on someones head.

Tom(AJ100)

·
Registered
190 Posts
No porting on those barrels! The muzzle blast must be deafening!wonder if they`re using 7 1/2 or 8`s thanks for the pics ML

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
willing, quote: <i>"In 1952 we fired Recoiless Rifles, 75 & 105, you should see the blast from those at night. blast from the front and REAR, that's how they made them recoiless. Nobody , repeat nobody stood any where near the rear or else."</i><br>
<br>
My dad said in Korea they came across a 75mm recoilless rifle the NKPA had captured and tried to use against us. The fried and mangled body of an NKPA officer was behind it. Oops. Guess he underestimated the backflash.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
The photos bring another dimension to the term "shoot off". Do those big guns have release triggers?

MIA- I hope your wife does not read your post. If she does, I hope you really do not like to eat dinner, because you won't have much for a while. The mussel blast in the photos might look mild to you compared to the blast from a wife. In a shoot off with her, you will lose.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
839 Posts
Brian: We once had a butterball who got too close and ended up standing on his head about 10 feet off the ground. didn't get hurt but he became very carefull where he stood.

Bill

·
Registered
318 Posts
Brian,
I believe the recoil-less 105's were ported. They put the porting in the rear of the barrel. LOL
When I was in the Navy I served aboard a Tin-can called the Hopewell (DD681) and was sight setter on a 5" 38 turret. Once I decided I wanted to see the muzzle flash from outside the turret and climbed out the bottom hatch to watch. I was about a foot from the bulkhead when they touched it off. The concussion slamed me against the steel pritty hard and ruined my hearing for quite a while. In those days we didn't use hearing protection in the mounts but sure needed it outside. I watched the USS StPaul (heavy cruiser) during gunnery practice off the west coast shoot her 8" guns, (may have been 12's), and when they fired a salvo from all guns it moved the ship sideways about 40 feet. Kind of neat to see and real noisey. Del

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.