Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am also curious, how are you going to load those paper shells? Please list components if you don't mind--unless it's a secret. I happen to have a bunch.

Thanks,

Roger

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
And I use 26.7 grns 7625, Downrange yellow 1 1/4 wad, 1 1/4 oz 7's, CCI mag or fed primer. I load three times and pitch

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Hey Gary don't forget your little buddy down here in the southern part of the state. I could use some of them bad boys. LOL Just kidding, hope to see you come down to are neck of the woods this summer. Stay safe this winter. G2

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Why do they lose velocity? Is it due to crimp fatigue?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
MAH66,

Those paper shells shoot softer. Easier on your face, shoulder and overall performance as a shooter. Unless you haven't shot them they are less on recoil than the same loaded plastic shell. Get some and try it out. You will like those hulls.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Brian:

My understanding and experience from loading Federal Paper hulls for years is that, every time they are shot, a little paper from the inside of the tube is scrubbed off. A hull on its third, 4th or 5th reload definitely has a weaker crimp. Upon ignition, there is less resistance to the wad and shot being pushed forward and the load does not develop peak velocity.

That said, I have made many a long shot with hulls that were on their last legs. I always felt that so long as I was into the bird and kept my swing smooth, a little lost velocity did not cause a miss.

There used to be a similar but opposite argument with plastic hulls. Whereas a paper hull remains smooth inside over its life, plastic hulls become rough and cause more resistance to the wad and shot moving forward. At one time, I believe that there was a company selling some type of coating to smooth out the inside of a plastic hull after it had been fired.

I try not to think about all of these issues when I shoot. I think that being a space cadet (empty headed) is the best way to shoot trap. See the bird and break the bird. I have had umpteen Federal Paper hulls separate in my 870 due to being reloaded too many times. I just pull out the separated paper tube from the barrel, ensure that I have removed a complete hull by counting the pieces and looking through the battrl and load another round. How hard can it be?

Ed Ward

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tell guys how great it is to shoot paper and they think you are nuts!
The smell is wonderful!
Almost as good as mom's warm cookies after a long day at school!

·
Premium Member
7,530 Posts
Roger,
Give this a try and I would bet you'll love it!
Fed. Gold Medal Paper Hulls
21.0gr Green Dot Powder
Fed.209A Primer
12S3 Wad
1 1/8oz Shot
1200 FPS
7,800 PSI
JUST PLAIN AWESOME!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts