Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about wintering in Texas but don't have a clue where.I shoot trap.hunt waterfowl,doves and a little fishing.where would be a good place to start?Would like it to be mild weather.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Houston!

Great waterfowling, fishing, weather, dove hunting and not far from Mexico where dove hunting is super. But trap...not much. You won't find near as much trap in this state as in some other states...especially the midwest and eastern states. If you are a "games" shooter...almost none in TX.

milt

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try Corpus Christi/Rockport area. Lots of snowbirds, great saltwater fishing, active gunclubs at Corpus Christi pistol and Rifle Club, and Victoria Trap and Skeet Club. Some of the best Bird hunting in Texas. Corpus has big 50 shoots year round.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are in the southern part of Texas like many other snowbirds there is a nice clay shooting range in Mission, just west of McAllan.

http://www.missionskeetandtrap.com/

·
Registered
455 Posts
Rockport, Port O'Connor have excelent duck hunting right now. You can also hunt ducks around Angleton/Freeport TX and shoot trap at the Metro Gun Club which is a great place to shoot trap.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Check out the Kerrville area. I understand the trap shooting is very nice.

My son live outside Austin and it also appears there is a lot of trapshooting there. I have been to the National shooting center outside San Antonio...great.

JON

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Mission club is about the only game around in the valley.

They give the Winter Texans a trap to run.
Last year we shot practice on Wednesday and Sunday, no registered trap at all.

They charged $5.00 per round if you were a member. They offer a winter Texan rate, I think it was around forty dollars. You have to be a NRA member to join.

You also sit through an orientation.

The officers of the club are skeet and sporting clays oriented so have no interest in running any trap events.

Last year all anyone wanted to shoot was 16 yeard practice. I shot some handicap by myself.

The Mission Club is a very nice faculity, just not real trap oriented.

They also have a outdoor pistol range.

There is a club at Brownsville, but I know nothing about it.

If you are an avid trapshooter, the valley is not the place for you.

We didn't go back this winter.

ed.

·
Registered
997 Posts
As a retired meteorologist let me suggest you pick out a couple of the larger cities in different areas and check the average temps, precipitation, etc before you commit to Texas especially if you think the weather will be mild in the Winter.

I dearly love Texas having lived there several times while serving in the USAF.

There's an old expression about Texas --- basically north of Austin --- in the winter time the only thing between Texas and the North Pole is a couple of barb-wire fences --- it gets cold, cold and windy, windy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.