Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me

I'd like to shoot doubles now and then and am looking for something other than an XT. What about the Rem 3200? Handled one yesterday that I liked a lot,fit great, adjustable comb, Gracoil, 2 pin model with all updates done - but I saw a blog entry somewhere that said as soon as a guy named Laib dies you can use all the 3200 guns as tomato stakes. Are they worth buying or is obsolescence imminent?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You could always find a K32 at a price close to what a 3200 would cost, this way you get the design of the old Remington 32, but with updates and better service availability.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Back in the day, I tried a couple and found them to be "problem guns". Forend cracks, hang fires, etc. Another vote for used Kgun.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The 3200 is a fairly good gun, hard to beat in the $1200 price range. Already obsolete, thankfully they don't break too often; service-ability and parts should be available for many years.

An XT or a K-32 would cost a little more, actually almost twice as much money in the current used market.

Good luck, GAP

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Best doubles gun ever. Has mechanical triggers so it resets with light loads on the first shot. Lower barrel POI adjustable by changing hanger. And the price is right and plenty of spare parts are available. HMB

·
Registered
584 Posts
They are notorious for cracking forearms. I could never get one that didn't crack. I understand that Pat Laib does a modification that corrects the problem, but I don't know what it costs or how effective it is.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Here is a thread that I did several years ago on sgw. Questions always come up about the 3200. I love them, but have also had issues with the ones that I have owned. I sold them all and just bought an XT. I would still like to find a 3200 and have Pat Laib do all of his magic to it, but it won't be anytime soon. I know a guy who had his 3200 given the works at Laib's. He had problems before and zero issues after. I think the repairs were in the $700 range.
Doug Allison

·
Registered
947 Posts
yaki, what's wrong with an XT I've had one for about 10 years with almost 100,000 rounds thru it and never a misfire because of the gun. It's well balanced and soft shooting frankley it's probably the best shotgun I've ever had.

warren

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
They have a loyal following, but seem to have (on average) a little more than their share of minor, nagging issues. In many instances it seems they require updates, reinforcements and mods to bring them to their best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have one I bought at the old Great Western gun show in Pomona, CA. in 1985. It was wore out when I bought it. The forearm was cracked and it was loose as a goose.
I sent it back to Remington and had new pins, etc put in it and the wood upgraded.
Over the years I have had 3 Perazzi's, 3 Bretta's and one K gun. I allways come back to the 3200.
I have rebuilt the internals at least 4 times. I have had it ported, had choke tubes installed and a recoil limiting device installed. I intend to shoot it in the Puget Sound Continental league starting next sunday.
Buy it, you wont be sorry.

tight lines Jim Sears

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
A lot of good comments so far. Some additional thoughts:

The 3200 is not a light gun. I think they easily tip the scales close to 9 pounds. Some folks like the weight - some do not.

I've always considered the 3200 a poor man's krieghoff. I think there may be some similar lineage - but I'm too lazy to do the research re: the history of each gun.

The mechanical trigger, as mentioned, is an excellent. Very crisp on all the 3200 I've owned.

Back in 1975 I purchased a skeet one-of-one thousand from Rod Fuller. It was one of a set that also had a matching serial number Trap model. I've always wished I would have purchased the trap gun but my budget wouldn't allow it. I've been searching for the model ever since. If anyone has serial #92 and wants to sell it let me know !

If the 3200 has had the modifications done by Laibs I'd say the gun is good to go for tens of thousands of rounds. This should include strengthening the forearm with a fiberglass mesh and resin to prevent (or stop) the forearm from cracking - something they're prone to do.

Good luck with your purchase if you go forward.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Funny, I think Krieghoffs are the rich mans Remington 32. :)

I've owned several K80's and loved all of them. They can justify the price because they work but it's amazing what they've done based on a very old design.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I love 'em, owned a bunch. I shot them for years, switched to Krieghoffs, but never shot as well. My wife still has a 3200. Every five years or so, I get it out and shoot a round with it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Remington 32s made from 1932 to 1942. Krieghoff Model 32 came out after WW2
3200 came out much later, cosmetically similar, but a real club compared to an M32. K80 came out as a result of the family wanting to sell in the USA, but Hal DuPont owned the name "Krieghoff", hence, "Shotguns of Ulm". A deal was made to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That 3200 club has been breaking targets for 40 years and still has a loyal following. Very much underrated gun especially when you consider the price. In my opinion the 3200s manufactured with the updates incorporated (single pin) are potentially better due to variations in the quality of the updates done on the older models. In over 20 years of shooting one that I had a Baker barrel made for I have had one hammer plunger and one ejector hammer break. I did have the forend update and breech face update done to prevent problems. Still locks up tight and never popped open when fired as some of the other brands have.

·
Sky Buster
4,038 Posts
I've owned two and agree that they are "clubby"
I never liked the fact the receivers are investment
casting's rather than steel forgings.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
You can change the ejector springs to a lighter spring helps with the forend problem, I used 1911 firing pin springs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
According to Laib's, a big part of the reason for cracks in the fore end and the stock of 3200's was due to improper fitting. I had Laib's glass bed and fit my fore end and stock properly. The result is my ejector springs don't have to be removed and I haven't had any issues with cracks in my stock or fore end. I also had them do their fore end update which may have helped as well.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I never owned or shot one but thought they had nice lines. After shouldering one or two I just did not care for the handling dynamics . Has anyone mentioned the safety? I thought it was the oddest safety I have seen on a over and under. One thing I have always disliked in the gun industry is when sales of a well made successful gun began to fall off due to manufacturing cost they try to recapture the market by making a cheaper version.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts