Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some RC Powder and loaded 7/8 according to published data at various velocities. Lots of issues with unburned powder, weak loads, really bad smell. Guns were the dirtiest I have ever seen by far. Not a loader problem as my Spolar has done 100k with no issues. Winchester 209 primers worked fine in other loads. Charges were weighed and were correct according to the published data. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Most powder have their "sweet spot" where they perform well. Some powders do better with 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads than they do with 7/8 oz loads. I suspect your problem is low chamber pressures, which leads to more residue than loads with higher chamber pressures. I would say it's not the powder, it's the load. Try a faster load with a higher chamber pressure, or up your load to 1 oz.

But you have to ask yourself whether residue in the barrel is a big problem. Whatever ash gets left in the barrel gets scrubbed out by the next load, it does not build up. What you see is the ash from the last load. Unless you are shooting an autoloader, it should not cause any problem.

But it's good to hear Competition is available again, it's been absent from the shelves for quite some time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is quite a lot more than just ash. Will try a faster load. Hopefully that will cure the issues of unburned powder and bloopers. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
It is quite a lot more than just ash. Will try a faster load. Hopefully that will cure the issues of unburned powder and bloopers. Thanks.
Inconsistent performance (bloopers) is another symptom of low chamber pressure. Tell us what you are loading.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Most powder have their "sweet spot" where they perform well. Some powders do better with 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads than they do with 7/8 oz loads. I suspect your problem is low chamber pressures, which leads to more residue than loads with higher chamber pressures. I would say it's not the powder, it's the load. Try a faster load with a higher chamber pressure, or up your load to 1 oz.

But you have to ask yourself whether residue in the barrel is a big problem. Whatever ash gets left in the barrel gets scrubbed out by the next load, it does not build up. What you see is the ash from the last load. Unless you are shooting an autoloader, it should not cause any problem.

But it's good to hear Competition is available again, it's been absent from the shelves for quite some time.
Well said. Nice post

·
Registered
109 Posts
With 7/8's ounce loads, you are going to need to push them up to 1300-1400 fps to bring them up to reasonable pressures for consistent performance, and clean burn. There seems to be a good deal of data around this powder pushing 1 ounce loads at 1200.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts