Trapshooters Forum banner

Tell me about a Kolar Trap

3884 Views 20 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Indiana Gun Club
I bought my son a Kolar Trap at the AIM Grand the other day from Indiana Gun Club. Mike is top notch in honesty and the help he provided us picking out a gun. I did a brief research on it and didn't really find that much info other than they were solid guns that hold their value. What can you tell me about them? Anything we need to pay special attention to? Explain the hanger system to me for adjusting poi of each one. It has the .740 choke o/u barrel only. Serial # is 1078 (I think).

He shot 1 practice round with it and was smashing targets hard. Then he wanted to shoot it in the AIM singles event the next morning. Ended up with a 180/200. Not bad considering we didn't have anything adjusted for him and the limited times he shot it. He absolutely loves it even though it weighs a ton, but somehow he can swing it nicely on the hard left/right targets. I didn't think he would be able to. He made it pretty far in the Annie Oakley challenge from the 27. He has shot maybe a box of shells in his life from the 27. I can't wait to see what he can do with it once he gets some shell time with it and it fine tuned to him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I bought my son a Kolar T/C at the AIM Grand the other day from Indiana Gun Club. Mike is top notch in honesty and the help he provided us picking out a gun. I did a brief research on it and didn't really find that much info other than they were solid guns that hold their value. What can you tell me about them? Anything we need to pay special attention to? Explain the hanger system to me for adjusting poi of each one. It has the .740 choke o/u barrel only. Serial # is 1078 (I think).

He shot 1 practice round with it and was smashing targets hard. Then he wanted to shoot it in the AIM singles event the next morning. Ended up with a 180/200. Not bad considering we didn't have anything adjusted for him and the limited times he shot it. He absolutely loves it even though it weighs a ton, but somehow he can swing it nicely on the hard left/right targets. I didn't think he would be able to. He made it pretty far in the Annie Oakley challenge from the 27. He has shot maybe a box of shells in his life from the 27. I can't wait to see what he can do with it once he gets some shell time with it and it fine tuned to him.

View attachment 1760810
You did a great job describing how they feel. I love my Kolar . Sounds like he shot well with a new gun.
Good luck
Steve

· Registered
Beretta 303
451 Posts
I bought my son a Kolar T/C at the AIM Grand the other day from Indiana Gun Club. Mike is top notch in honesty and the help he provided us picking out a gun. I did a brief research on it and didn't really find that much info other than they were solid guns that hold their value. What can you tell me about them? Anything we need to pay special attention to? Explain the hanger system to me for adjusting poi of each one. It has the .740 choke o/u barrel only. Serial # is 1078 (I think).

View attachment 1760810
Nice dad you are! Man, I started trap as a kid with an 870. I guess different world today...

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice dad you are! Man, I started trap as a kid with an 870. I guess different world today...
He started with a Mossberg mini 510 at 11 years old. Then a Benelli 20 gauge, then a BT-99, then a 725 Trap, and now at 14 years old the Kolar. Worst part is we still have them all. I get attached to them and don't want to see them abused.

· Registered
3,087 Posts
Yes you can add a single barrel to it later if you want. All of the receivers (baring the TS) are pretty much the same in that regard.

Looks like it is the non lite version. So I bet that's a 30" barrel and weighs in the neighborhood of 1720g. Being 740 bore you can use the newer titanium chokes that are factory if you want to lighten it up at all.
Fyi, if you want lite barrels later the best way to know they are the lite version is the monoblock is drilled on either side of the barrels towards the muzzle.

Only big serial number change came at 3280. Early guns can't take the newer stocks. Has to do with a bigger flat spot/cut on the back of the receiver. Good to know if you run across a used stock for sale. (but you can use an old stock on a new gun).

You might stop by Kolar or Elite while you're there and have them go through the gun....mostly just make sure the trigger is up to the newest parts/iteration.

The Kolar has two barrel hangers; one at the muzzle and one in the middle just under the forearm. Thicker middle one brings the POI of the two barrels closer and vice versa. Thicker muzzle one moves the POI of the two barrels further apart.
But don't get to hung up on that. The gunsmiths at Kolar will talk you through which hanger you want depending on how many inches you are trying to move one barrels pattern.

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes you can add a single barrel to it later if you want. All of the receivers (baring the TS) are pretty much the same in that regard.

Looks like it is the non lite version. So I bet that's a 30" barrel and weighs in the neighborhood of 1720g. Being 740 bore you can use the newer titanium chokes that are factory if you want to lighten it up at all.
Fyi, if you want lite barrels later the best way to know they are the lite version is the monoblock is drilled on either side of the barrels towards the muzzle.

Only big serial number change came at 3280. Early guns can't take the newer stocks. Has to do with a bigger flat spot/cut on the back of the receiver. Good to know if you run across a used stock for sale. (but you can use an old stock on a new gun).

You might stop by Kolar or Elite while you're there and have them go through the gun....mostly just make sure the trigger is up to the newest parts/iteration.

The Kolar has two barrel hangers; one at the muzzle and one in the middle just under the forearm. Thicker middle one brings the POI of the two barrels closer and vice versa. Thicker muzzle one moves the POI of the two barrels further apart.
But don't get to hung up on that. The gunsmiths at Kolar will talk you through which hanger you want depending on how many inches you are trying to move one barrels pattern.
Thank you. Thats the type of info I was looking for.

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My son shot games with it today at our local Saturday fun shoot. Hit all shots on the concrete except one from the 27 (16, 18, 20, 24, 26, and 27 yard line 5 across). Hit 2 out of 5 from the light pole (approx. 37 yards). Then shot a 24/25 in the 16 yard bird race. Said a sweat bee stung him on the missed one. Lost in the $$ tiebreaker shootoff by 2 clays from the 27. Not a bad morning for him. He hung with all the older guys that have shot for 30 years or more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.