Trapshooters Forum banner

Ted Nugent on deer hunting...

4829 Views 37 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  fritzi93
Ted Nugent on deer hunting .....

Ted Nugent was recently being interviewed by a French journalist. The journalist asked, "What do you think the last thought is in the head of a deer before you shoot it? Is it, `Are you my friend?` or is it . Are you the one who killed my brother?'"

Nugent replied, "They aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, "What am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French in that way."
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Alright, saying the word "kill" instead of "harvest"? How many deer have you eaten that you or someone else didn't kill? Taking something's life is killing it, that's that. I know "harvest" is correct as well, but it doesn't make "kill" the wrong word to use, even if it's less proper. As far as getting excited in the woods after you make a KILL, isn't that what it's all about? If you don't get excited anymore, go home, it's a lot more comfortable in bed than any treestand I've ever sat in. Making a bad shot on an animal, that's hunting. If you never missed an animal or didn't shoot an animal perfectly, you probably haven't hunted very long. I think it's good that Ted still puts those things on his show, it shows other hunters he isn't editing his shows to make it look like he never misses. Go on a hunting talk forum and you'll see quite a few posts about other TV show hosts and how guys are mad at them for making themselves look like experts on their shows. The anti-hunters aren't going to like any of our hunting shows, and they're going to get ammunition from any hunting show, no matter how tasteful, so we might as well stick together and just make sure those shows are what we like. Obviously we all won't like every hunting show out there, but I think Ted's show is awesome and I enjoy watching it. Since it's been on the air for some time, I'm not the only one. I don't like hunting on the game farms he hunts on, but if he likes it, let him. We all have to stick together whether you like it or not, because we'll slit our own throats long before the anti-hunters will (and we'll do it by disagreeing on things like baited hunting, Ted's style of hunting, and "controversial" hunting issues like that). Stick together, guys, and since Ted gets the word out about hunting probably more than any of us with the media, we should thank him. Period.

· Registered
67 Posts
I don't like the way he captures the idea of hunting or being an outdoorsmen. There are a lot of hunters, outdoorsmen, shooters and the like that have more respect for what they do than he does.

He has a TV program that belittles people at HIS whem and falsly leads the public to belive it is man against nature. He has been a big advocate for the right to own/bare arms and I can appreciate that but his idea of the circle of life is not quite the same as mine. I would still high five for the comeback.

Van

· Registered
2,756 Posts
As hunters we need to masquerade the sport so the other non hunters don't figure out that "killing" is really what we are doing when we say "harvest". Actually I think the first time I ever heard the term "Harvest" in the context of hunting was by the Iowa DNR. I guess we need to buffer things deemed unpleasant so we don't offend those folks out there who think it is OK to buy their food in the market as long as they don't get their hands dirty or think about something actually being slaughtered. Tripod, hunter first, trapshooter too!

· Registered
7 Posts
Nugent does what benefits Nugent and if someone else happens to get something out of it, that's OK too. He's like every fanatic I've ever met...they're so afraid that you will do something to interfere with their life path that they will loudly and repeatedly throw it in your face to convince you that their path is correct for everyone no matter who they are.

Watch one of his shows. Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how having a group of city-bred yuppies wallow around in pig guts does anything to advance the cause of hunting or outdoorsmanship. These people may not know how their food gets into the blister pack, but that's their choice. They don't NEED to know. A whole industry has developed to provide food to the people who have left the hunter-gatherer mind set so they can focus on other pursuits just as vital to society. And watching Nugent humiliate them simply because they don't know what he knows or do what he does simply showcases his ignorance.

Mick Holloway

· Registered
2,756 Posts
You live in a different world than I do Mick. I like my world better, but you probably like yours better too. I will bet it is the hunter gatherer who has left that will be the first ones to see that hunting is outlawed. What a sad day that will be. Tripod

· Registered
353 Posts
Obviously Gargoyle, Tron , and Grammie you have never seen a hunt show on ESPN!! I've seen plenty of hunters (on their hunt shows) shoot animals and pump their fists in the air and laugh in the camera. Not just Ted Nugent.This "harvest" word is a smoke screen for the word "Kill".The definition of the word Harvest, "The gathering of crops","A supply of anything gathered at maturity".(NOT ALL ANIMALS KILLED ARE MATURE)..That comes right out of The American College dictionary page 553.To harvest a big game animal MOST of the time you must "KILL" it.Lets not be hipicrates here boys....Whats more inhumane than killing (harvesting) an animal with a stick (arrow)..
I'm not a anti hunting person by any means.I've hunted my whole life 58yrs.
But I think it does the sport of hunting no good to try and conceal what is really going on by changing words... Tripod I agree with you 100%.Now I'm going out and "HARVEST" some corn... then I'm going to go "KILL" some crows

Phillip Del Monti

· Registered
655 Posts
Amen Phillip. Uncle Ted has done more for hunting and shooting than Grammie, Garg and Tron ever will. He is no different than any other bow hunter who makes a kill on TV. Ever seen Tred Barta?

I am not a fan of bow hunting, but I believe these folks have the right to hunt with a bow just like I like to shoot my rifle.

I like Ted's show and I really like what he's done for the outdoorsmen and women. And...he doesn't cross his legs when his picture is taken! :)

· Registered
353 Posts
Tron.... you trade your boat for that straw hat and shorts outfit???Looks like you got some new porch furniture in the trade also. If you have a good anchor left to trade I might be able to get you a paint job for the house too..LOL

Philly D

· Registered
729 Posts
PhillyD, please go out and find one of his early tapes. You will see what we all are talking about. He shows alot of disrespect for the game. Please go find the tapes or CD. Even the big pro hunters disliked the way he acted on the tapes. Its just not us little people here. We all are in a point where we need to choose our words. In any shotgun sport we should call the target as target and not bird. Why its because of people who don't know the differance and because of the anti gunners. Target they can't say much but if you say bird the first thing they think is tweety bird. Harviest is another word for killing. I harviest while you go out and kill. Lets put it this way, there is love in bed and then theres F$%^ing in bed and there is a big differance. Its in all how you do things.

· Registered
353 Posts
Gargoyle
I haven't seen his old tapes nor do i watch his new show.But I have seen him in a couple interviews and he seemed versed in 'HIS' opinions about guns and hunting. However he comes across, I don't think he is "intentionally" saying anything to hurt the real hunting sportsman.. A GARBAGE MAN is now A Sanitation Engineer, My Mechcanic is now a TECHNITION, My barber is now my STYLIST....Now I'm starting to get it, thanks Gargoyle.. Silly me:)

Philly D

· Registered
11 Posts
I had heard he's thinking of running for Governor of Michigan. Just Googled it before posting this and got a lot of hits. It'll be interesting to say the least.

From PoliticalWire.com

The Miami Herald quotes Nugent on his potential platform: "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.